BMT Wish List

sjcaldwell

2016-10-18 17:48:00

A few wish list items for BMT (also portable to Bomebox when implemented)

I suspect this is being worked on already.

1) More meaningful variables instead of two letter only. OK if Global variables start with caps and local start with lower case or some such convention. Right now I have to keep a list with the silly 2 letter names and more meaningful names that I understand.

2) More complex IF logic ie (if aa=1 OR bb=3) then cc=4. I really have to contort myself using the simple IF logic currently supported.

Mister36

2016-10-23 21:24:47

More global variables with an easier naming system (which I believe has been in the works for a while) and a report of all used global variables would be two of my big ones off top of my head.

florian

2016-10-23 22:47:05

"a while" indeed. It's the number 1 priority for the next version. We will need to use a new file format, too, because the old one would not fit free-form variables. So it's quite a big change.
Florian

sjcaldwell

2016-10-24 01:24:32

Yes and maintain compatibility between BMT and Bome Box now that I have a Bome Box. Even if you need to compile the BMT file to make the memory footprint fit.

florian

2016-10-24 11:02:00

you're absolutely right, we'll keep MT Pro and BB in sync!
Florian

sjcaldwell

2016-10-25 19:28:52

Gee while I'm making a wish list.

How about the capability to merge a set of selected pre-sets and translators into an existing bmtp file.

That way I could test new functionality in a separate smaller bmtp test file and then when ready, merge it into my more complex production bmtp file.

Another thought if not merging them is the concept of an "include" directive so you could have separate bmtp "modules" and then just "include" the ones you want into your master file. The main downside I would see to that is that when moving them from one PC to another, you would have to make sure you move everything within the project.

sjcaldwell

2016-10-25 19:33:48

Oh and maybe array variables

VariableName[0]
Variablename[1]

And a scripting mechanism to traverse the array.

Most of this is basic stuff that most programming languages have. The main concern with all the suggestions I have
is that it might bulk up the overhead resulting in midi latency issues which is why I imagine the architecture relies heavily on small simple translators that can (sort of ) be run in parallel.

Well back to my day job now.

Mister36

2016-10-25 19:57:54

sjcaldwell wrote:How about the capability to merge a set of selected pre-sets and translators into an existing bmtp file.
I would love this. I feel like it's already possible (by editing as text and copy/pasting), but it's not fool-proof. An easy way to do this would be great. And if it's already there, even better! Pray tell!

florian

2016-11-01 11:51:08

Hi,
thanks for the ongoing influx of ideas! Merging can be done relatively simple using copy/paste: open project A, select one or more presets, hit Edit|Copy, then open project B and hit Edit|Paste. Should work!

We'll probably keep the Rules pretty much as they are (they're easy enough for people without programming background), but we'll add a real scripting language for version 2.0 with all the bells and whistles of a full language, including arrays and loops.

Thanks,
Florian

sjcaldwell

2016-11-01 14:52:59

Wonderful! Thanks! Any ideas when version 2 will be available? Will existing users of version 1 get a special upgrade price?
Are you looking for beta testers?

florian

2016-11-03 00:51:07

Yes, there will be special upgrade pricing for owners of version 1.x. But sorry, we generally don't publish estimates for a new version...

Regarding betas, every licensed user can get access. Just contact us through the contact form. Right now, we don't have a useful beta though...

Thanks,
Florian

TomViolenz

2016-11-29 14:40:16

I have a small but useful suggestion:

How about changing the "2" in "if pp=1 then skip next 2 rules" to a value we can change, so we can skip any number of rules we want?! Would change this small rule for special cases into a truly general rule.

Or if that value could even be a variable, then it would allow totally new usage cases for it 8)

florian

2016-11-29 15:26:48

Hi Tom, great idea! We'll consider it.
Thanks,
Florian