New to MIDI Translators

henryh

2016-10-15 10:42:10

Hello Bomers,

I have a fairly straight forward question & I'm sure it can be easily answered from someone who's familiar with Bome.
Firstly id like to offer my utmost apologies, for I've only been able to skim the manual.

I've been using a virtual multi track midi sequencer (sundog scale studio) for throwing together quick tunes to fiddle around with in my DAW (live) but i'm trying to spend less time in ableton these days so ive recently purchased a hardware midi sequencer, for multi tracking external hardware instruments.

Essentially what im trying to do is cut out the middleman (ableton) and split the signal coming out of the virtual sequencer into my class compliant device. At the moment the only information im only looking to send is midi note data on multiple channels simultaneously and running 3 sequencers at once to do so seems a little excessive.
So, i think (i hope) i can cut one out of the picture all together and im told this is the place to do it.
I understand this is probably a fairly simple process but with only 20 minutes of time before the trial resets i find it rather pressing trying to get my ducks in order & would rather not spend 60 euro to sit at the desk scratching my head for another 2 weeks before ive even successfully tested it out.

So

What im asking for is a quick little guide or a how to, to get it setup so i can run a test before the 20 minutes runs up and i have to start all over again before making the purchase.

Much thanks in advance to anybody willing to help out

Sincerely

&

perpetually

dedicated

Henry

Sakis

2016-10-18 15:43:27

Hi,
In the attached project there are 2 presets
The "easy" has the following logic :
Listen to midi channel 1 and pass the original Notes to the same channel
Notes have both note on and off events so we must pass both events, else the notes will sustain forever :wink:
The following translators take the notes and translate them to different channels.
Notice that in the "Options" tab there is "swallow"
It simply means the we don't want to pass again the channel 1 note on/off message since we did it in the first 2 translators.

On translators 5,6 we route channel one to channel 3 ,but if you noticed there is a rule:

Code: Select all

qq=oo-12
This means that we transposed the note ,down to 12 semitones (one octave down!)
If you don't want that ,you could set in the rule

qq=oo

or delete the rule and set the outgoing

92 oo pp
Don't forget to do the same for the note off event (translator 6)

On translators 7,8 we shifted one octave up the notes ,to midi channel 4.
I hope I didn't confused you,just wanted to show you that you can tweak midi channels AND transpose notes easily :D
In "advanced" preset we set on one translator ,the outgoing notes to channels 1,2,3,4
You will notice a different translator on the beginning of each preset. They make sure that only one preset remains active.

Hope it's useful :D
Attachments
Channel_1_to_2.3.4.bmtp
And note Transpose!
(1.74 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

florian

2016-11-01 11:33:22

Thanks Sakis!

henryh, has Sakis response got you further?
Thanks,
Florian