Mouse Control Assigned To Fader/Knob

ckirkendall

2016-10-05 13:36:41

So I'm very new to midi controllers as well as its language.

Wanting to assign a knob or fader to make the mouse move to a certain position on my screen, then click and drag either vertically or horizontally (depends on the value I want to change.)

So the fader and knob does have a stopping point. So the fader of course goes all the way down and all the way up. The knob goes all the way to he left and to the right. So no infinite turning.

Please do remember I am extremely new to midi signal coding language.

I have programmed a pad on my MPC to trigger a keystroke and I understand how to do that.

Any links to understanding beginner on midi in general would be helpful but really looking into achieving the specifics I have mentioned above.

gabriels

2016-10-09 05:51:51

It sounds as if you want to do the equivalent of using your mouse to click on a fader that has vertical orientation on your screen and then move it up or down. And you want to do a similar thing to a horizontal fader (maybe a dj style crossfader.
If the host program allows you to map midi messages to faders, there's a simpler way to do it.
Could you explain what application you are trying to control, and what you're trying to achieve?

ckirkendall

2016-10-09 05:58:25

So I'm trying to use my MIDI controller in After Effects. I have a window (That will always be in its location) where an effect has sliders to control the properties of that effect. I would like to know if I can map either a knob or fader on my controller to have the mouse jump via x, y coordinates and then click and hold, then the mouse will move vertically or horizontally depending on if it is a fader or knob.

I have mapped out my pads and other buttons on my controller to do keystrokes, but looking to take it a step further.

One other thing, FYI, I don't even know how to find my x, y coordinates. Is there an utility to do that? I'm on a MAC.

gabriels

2016-10-09 06:35:32

Before we explore the method of control you mention,can you tell me this:
in After Effects, is it possible to map a controller to a fader?

ckirkendall

2016-10-09 08:22:18

It is not...

gabriels

2016-10-09 08:56:59

I'm assuming you have some switches also on your controller.

Check out section 9.6 of the Bome's MT manual. That will explain how to move your cursor to an xy location on the screen.
Once you've absorbed that, try this:
- Use MT to translate a switch closure (aka a button press) into the message that places the cursor where you want it.
- The same button press is also used to send a message the do a left mouse click (Down only)
- With the cursor now "locked to the cursor, move the cursor using Bomes mouse movement commands (also described in section 9.6)

OOPS! I now see a problem. Tell me if you can dedicate a unique fader or knob on your controller to each of the faders in After Effects and leave it dedicated during the time you are performing. If not, you won't be able to determine where to send the cursor in the first place since you will have left the After Effects fader in an unknown position.

Well, there is a way. It would involve storing a two variables holding the x and y coordinates of the last position of the AE fader when you unlinked the controller fader from the AE Fader. Then you could send the cursor to that location when you wanted to take control of the AE fader again.

Could you describe your controller? Oh, I see it's an MPC, but I'd rather not dig for the information on the configuration of the MPC.

ckirkendall

2016-10-10 18:58:41

Well, there is a way. It would involve storing a two variables holding the x and y coordinates of the last position of the AE fader when you unlinked the controller fader from the AE Fader. Then you could send the cursor to that location when you wanted to take control of the AE fader again. (....)
Tell me about this solution. How do I do that?