Nektar GX61 with Ableton - Transport Controls/Navigation?

JCUK

2016-09-15 17:53:33

Hi,

Firstly I should mention that I know next to nothing about MIDI beyond inputting notes and very basic control assignment but after seeing the wizardry that nativeKONTROL did to my KORG padKONTROL as a result of using MT Player I figured this was the best place to ask.

I recently bought a Nektar GX61, it has 14 assignable buttons (7 but with a shift function), a volume pot and pitch bend/mod wheels. It uses the generic MIDI device drivers for Windows 10 and despite following all of the user manual instructions on how to make the transport controls work it still refuses to place nice with Ableton Live 9.6.2.

I have assigned them to the undefined CCs 102-115 and used Live's mapping to do some of what I want but ideally I am hoping to map the 14 buttons as follows...

Shift Disabled:
  • Loop Toggle = Loop On/Off
  • Stop = Stop
  • Play = Play
  • Record = Global Record
  • Click = Undo
  • Rewind/Fast Forward = Left Arrow Key/Right Arrow Key
Shift Enabled:
  • <-Track/Track-> = -/+ VSTi Bank
  • <-Patch/Patch-> = -/+ VSTi Patch
  • S1 = Channel On/Off
  • S2 = Toggle Channel Solo
  • S3 = Toggle Channel Arm
How much of this would MIDI Translator Pro be necessary for and how much can be done with proper MIDI Channel/CC assignment or using Live's MIDI mapping?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
-JC

florian

2016-09-27 10:08:59

Hi JC,
sorry for the late reply from us. Seems that nobody else here on the forum has particular experience with your device?

I'm not sure if the Nektar has its own logic for SHIFT, but it's possible in MT Pro (and to some degree also in MT Classic) to implement an own SHIFT function (or any numbers of SHIFT layers as needed).

The easiest way is to use different presets for that. I've outlined the general scheme for that further down in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12139#p24101

Best regards,
Florian