APC 40 routed to 2 applications

3dchrisdodds

2016-09-14 16:40:56

Hi all.

I have just picked up Midi Translator in the hope of using it to route midi signals from one APC 40 to 2 separate software apps (Resolume and OSIMidi (For Titan))

I have watched a tutorial that suggests using RTPMidi, which I believe makes a virtual port clone of your Midi interface (Please correct me if I am wrong) This then allows the two separate apps to see the Midi controller without the error message *Port already in use*

I have got it working with the attached project file but I am unsure if there is a cleaner way to do this. I have two Translators bringing the midi in from the interface and each one routes to its respected virtual port via another translator.

I am still trying to get my head around this but I am sure there is a simpler way to go about this. :)
Attachments
Boome NEW.bmtp
(2.17 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

florian

2016-09-27 11:37:09

Hi Chris,
sorry for the late reply. I've had a quick look at your project file, and it looks like the correct way to go.
I don't understand the translators "Titan" and "Resolume". The former routes MIDI Note 60 from Titan back to Titan as MIDI note 64. The latter, feeds back Note 60 from Resolume to Resolume. Is that intended?

If you want to make your project cleaner: in general, we recommend to use "Preset Default MIDI Ports" as much as possible instead of per-translator MIDI port settings. For that, you'll create one preset per in/out MIDI combination. Then, leave the MIDI port settings in the individual translators at their default. I realize that in your project, each translator as a unique MIDI IN/OUT combination, so maybe such an optimization would be counterproductive.

Thanks,
Florian