Off Topic-ish: MIDI Echo, Spec, & Duplicate Notes

CreepyPants

2016-08-16 17:18:15

Sorry for this slightly off topic, but I'm having a tough time finding info online with standard searches (although I will try to refine my search criteria & post any info that I receive).

I'm working on a controllable "MIDI Echo" script on MTPro, but I'm unsure if I need to 'test' to see if one of those echoes happens on an existing note event.

Basic Example:
Ch1 has a 4/4 Kick.
I propose have MTPro do a "MIDI Echo" adding in an extra kick echo (same MIDI note but 1/2 the original velocity) on 1/16th beats. In this example, some of the 'echo' Note On msgs will be duplicating the original signal (unless I [Swallow]...and wasn't looking to swallow).

In a sequence of events being triggered, I'm assuming MTPro will stick the echo'd 1/2 velocity Note On event on the same clock pulse sequentially after the primary/MTPro IN MIDI Note On event.

In my current rig, effectively my receiving synth is disregarding the echo 1/2 velocity Note On event in favour of the primary Note On event (the full velocity one instead of the 1/2 velocity one). This is ideal, because then I dont' need to test or worry about things that confuse me.

However I'm wondering: Since MIDI.org has made their website less user friendly & I haven't fully researched this issue on the site, is this going to get me into trouble? Has anyone else tried this already?

florian

2016-08-16 17:45:00

you mean, if that's a problem if two same notes come at the "same" time? I guess, the MIDI protocol does not care about this. For the scope of MIDI, all notes arrive in series, so a receiver can always find out in which order notes come, even if in very close succession. How that receiver handles that situation is up to the receiver. A drum machine might favor an already sounding drum and ignore a rapidly following Note On message. Another drum machine might handles this differently. A melodic synth might retrigger the note. Preventing this situation in MT is possible, but probably not very easy. If it currently works the way you want it, I guess it's OK.

For non-drum notes, there is another issue, which is also not clearly defined by the MIDI standard: overlapping same notes:

Note On note 64
Note On note 64
Note Off note 64
Note Off note 64

Retrigger or ignore the second Note On? When to turn off the note? Every receiver will have its own scheme for handling it.

Thanks,
Florian

CreepyPants

2016-08-16 18:23:23

Thanks for the response, Florian!

Great - I get to take the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' route, which is much easier for me right now. :)