Any Elektron Octatrack Users (for research)

CreepyPants

2016-08-15 15:05:15

I've been working on the bits & pieces (with help from Florian & DvlsAdvct here on the forums...thanks guys!) to create a sort of 'SuperScript' to translate the Elektron Octatrack's XFade & Scene Selection into MIDI CCs for the MIDI Sequencer side of things. It responds to Scene selection & XFade values, although I've worked out the bits & pieces to respond to OT pattern/bank (not MIDI Bank...the OT's pattern bank) selections. (I'm not using that bit anymore because of my setup)

I can do some hardcoded basics, but now I'm looking at creating a larger, more inclusive script that can handle a variety of scenarios that if/when I share the script, someone who is not well-versed in MTPro can edit to achieve desired results, in addition to trying to address "all the things". :) (Also, I'm still an OT n00b - still have yet to perform with the device - first gig is in Sept with it. Eeek!)

So, as an OT n00b, I constantly wonder if what I'm doing now is going to be applicable once I have a system down for creating/programming/performing tracks that will be resilient to last...well, until I get new hardware and all. :)

If you use both, even if you're not interested in translating the XFade, I'd love to hear from you about how you interact with the OT, the XFade, and the Scene selections for modulating your Audio tracks and how you might like your MIDI connected equipment to react.

More Blah-Blah-Blah if it seems slightly interesting:
Right now I have a different set of values for each Scene and the XFade input will vary a MIDI CC value between the two for each MIDI track. (Well, at least 7 OT MIDI Tracks. I use OT MIDI Track 8 for utility tasks since I also run a lighting controller to sync to my music - I'm using this to select the Song/OT Program because of the way I interface with the device).

I'm only envisioning sending on MIDI CC per track, but I wrote the original larger scale algorithm to accommodate 4 MIDI CCs & sets of values. Selecting different OT Scenes would create a different map of values/CCs to modulate as the XFade is used.

So yeah - if this sounds even remotely interesting, or if you're willing to share info about how you construct your sets and interact with the OT XFade, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thx
-Jim aka CreepyPants

florian

2016-09-03 16:10:40

hmmm....nobody? would be interesting!

CreepyPants

2016-09-03 17:52:12

IKR? LOL

I posted this on an Octatrack forum on FB and in Elektronauts too - no takers to date.

At least this relieves me from trying to write a script that encompasses more possibilities in favour of dedicating my scripts to my specific applications, but I like thinking in terms of 'systems' so it would have been fun. Instead I feel like I'm cheating by using an OT MIDI track for 'control' selecting MTPro Presets instead of using a more organic approach where MTPro would know what I'm doing merely from native controller data. (In my applications I have to have a MIDI control channel anyway to control lighting)

Just speculating, but I think more OT users tend to be too young to remember/utilize MIDI - the Sequencer portion of the OT almost seems to me to be geared more towards people who are more DJ oriented. Not that there isn't crossover, but it's such a small set in the Venn diagram, eh? :)

I do have a couple people I'm working with, tho.
We'll see what happens.