Keystrokes Not Working For Hotkeys

uuk

2016-06-26 01:02:57

Hi there, what I'm trying to achieve is a basic hotkey function using my midi controller to trigger hotkeys.

I have a Midi Fighter 3D and I'm trying to use it to trigger hotkeys in the OBS Studio software. I have no problems setting up the midi input and keystroke output; however, it only works when I have the software (OBS Studio) open and active on screen.

What I'm asking:
is there a way to make Bome Midi Translator trigger hotkeys when OBS Studio isn't active on screen or is minimized? aka running in the background.

Thanks

florian

2016-07-04 14:35:45

Hi uuk,
there are ways to do that, but they're not as straight forward:

1) Windows:
You can try the "injected keystrokes": in the keystroke output action, check "injected" and select the window of the OBS software. Unfortunately, the rules for selecting the window depend on the software you want to inject the keystrokes into. While selecting the target window, most programs allow you to select different sub-windows, too. So if it does not work to target the main window, you need to try targeting sub windows, maybe even the element (e.g. button) itself which you want to target. Note that you can also conveniently inject mouse clicks/movement to individual elements. Some programs do not receive injected events at all.

2) OS X:
You should be able to send the keystrokes using AppleScript.

Thanks,
Florian