BMT with Propllerhead Reason and Keith McMillen Quneo

iamjon

2016-06-24 23:34:13

I have a Keith McMillen Quneo. It sends CC# data along the XY axis of little square drum pads.

It sends 0-127 values which is way too extreme a variation for something like filter frequency. I want to translate the values to send something more like 40-60. The Y CC is 39 the X CC is 29.

I set up my project with QUNEO as input and BMT virtual out 1 as output. I set up Reason to accept input from BMT virtual out 1. In BMT I set the midi through and I get the Quneo input firing the Reason instruments via BMT.

In the translator I set two separate but mostly identical translators. One for CC 39 and one for CC 29. For my first test I want to just set output to be 127 for each CC. I can't get this to work. I tried both using the output section to set the value and using the rules scripting box to manipulate a variable set in the input box.

I've attached the bmtp file. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

thanks! I am hopeful this will work.
Attachments
jon.first.bmtp
(994 Bytes) Downloaded 169 times

tsutek

2016-06-25 12:20:29

I suggest you check the qunexus editor application instead. You can set the tilt sensitivities etc with the editor, which would be a lot simpler approach than using MTP for value scaling.

I don't have a qunexus myself, just the quneo, but the editor on the quneo is very comprehensive. I'd imagine the same being true for the qunexus, KMI is a thorrough company!

iamjon

2016-07-01 03:32:49

Thanks for the reply. I checked the Quneo editor. I found that for each pad n drum mode you can set x and y to latch but I didn't find any other way to limit x and y values. I want it to be he way you say it is but it doesn't seem like it is. So I am back to my original question?

DvlsAdvct

2016-07-18 01:28:54

Hi iamjon

Sorry for the delay.

There are a lot of variables as to why your controls are not firing correctly, so we need to troubleshoot. In the log window of your project, do the commands read correctly?

In Reason, are there any MIDI settings you need to change for it to react to CC messages in different ways? Sometimes DAWs are set to listen for Absolute or Relative commands and won't respond to anything else. As for restricting your MIDI messages, if the QuNeo Editor can't handle it, then we need to scale everything up for it to fit. Let's start with the X axis of CC 29. What we need to do is scale the full range of MIDI (128 steps) to only 20 (41-60) (using this range for simplicity of the math, though if you are set on 40-60 we can do that as well). Unfortunately, 20 doesn't go into 128 evenly (6.4) so we need to do some scaling to get it to fit.

We are going to multiple our incoming message by 10, and then divide it by 64. This will give us the specific range we are looking for.

Code: Select all

Translator 1: X Axis
Incoming: MIDI Message
Control Change
Channel 1
CC: 29
Value: Any
    Set Variable to Value: oo
Rules: pp=oo*10
qq=pp/64
rr=qq+41
Outgoing: MIDI Message