Multiple pages of color coded x-controls from launchpad.

DeepMini

2016-06-22 17:11:29

Hi,

I tried my first MT project - any feedback is much appreciated!

My goal with this project was to use MT to organize the matrix of the launchpad mini into multiple pages of ClyphX x-controls and have each page with unique LED feedback to specify the matrix location of the x-controls.

The MT project includes 4 presets (so far), each representing a launchpad x-control page:
Page 1 sends Notes 0-63
Page 2 sends Notes 64-127
Page 3 sends CCs 0-63
Page 4 sends CCs 64-127
- All pages send on Channel 10 and use the 64 matrix pads

Each page has 4 translators:

Translator 1) Note translation
I use the following rules for translating the incoming launchpad messages (this example is for page 1)

Incoming: 90 pp 7F

Rules:
rr=pp/16
ss=rr*16
oo=pp-ss
if oo==8 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
uu=pp+oo
qq=uu/2

Outgoing: 99 qq 7F

This translator only sends mid out Bome MT 1 virtual out.

Translator 2) LED feedback

On each page I have a translator that is triggered with the activation of that page.
In the rules I use global variables to define velocities to send to all of the matrix pads and provide LED feedback. For example:

g0=13
g1=60
g2=63...

The output from that translator is a chain of raw midi messages that uses these variables and lights all pads on the matrix. Ex, for row 00: 90 00 g0 90 01 g1 90 02 g2...
This translator only sends midi out to the launchpad.

Translators 3+4
These are for page up and down and are assigned to the lowest 2 round buttons on the LP (notes 104 and 120).

That's it! It works pretty well. I'd really value any comments or suggestions you have on this approach!

I had a couple questions:

1) Is there any downside to maxing out Notes and CCs for a particular channel like described above?

2) In general is there a better way to do the led feedback for each page in this project? Ie: is using up 64 global variables in this way generally unwise?

Thanks!
Attachments
x-controls_6.bmtp
(5.37 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

metastatik

2016-06-27 12:59:22

1. Generally, no, but it could present a problem in certain cases depending on how you’re using Live, MT and other controllers. But that would be the case regardless of what MIDI messages (aside from SysEx) you were using.
2. Generally, no, but it could present a problem if you expand upon the project and run out of global variables. For what you’re doing here, you actually don’t need global variables at all. You could just put the velocity values directly in the outgoing messages (like 90 00 13). Not as easy to modify, sure, but doable.