Using one MIDI device with several applications

Scr1pter

2016-05-30 11:08:42

Hello,

Yesterday I made some tests with my Synth (Bass Station II) and I was already able to
move the mouse cursor by using a knob.
When I wanted to start my DAW (Studio One 3), it said, "Failed to open Bass Station II [Emulated]"

From what I read I need some "special MIDI drivers" in order to access 1 device with several MIDI applications.
Is that true or do I need some kind of "bridge"?
I'm new to this - normally I only use 1 application and not several at once.

I have Windows 7.

P.S: I also have Virtual MIDI ports inside of MIDI Translator PRO (I think they are there by default.)

Best regards

DvlsAdvct

2016-05-31 15:38:56

Hi Scr1pter, again :)

Devices need to have the capability of being utilized by multiple devices at the same time. You can use the MIDI Router in MT Pro to have the Bass Station pass data on to your DAW, but it won't be able to utilize any integration that may be included. you would need to map the entire device.

I am not sure if the Bass Station II is able to communicate with multiple applications, but if you have two other programs, it might be worth seeing if it can connect to those without MT Pro.

Thanks
Jared

Scr1pter

2016-06-01 10:47:42

Hi Jared, again ;)

Ok, I will test this.
I used the Bass Station II just for testing because I tried it out on my laptop.
My main device is the M-Audio Oxygen IV 61.

Good, so I will try to add the device into the MIDI router and see if it gets recognized in Studio One.

Thanks!

ibanman555

2016-06-01 15:54:24

I have seen this problem occur in the past as well, and if for some reason you are still having trouble solving the issue, PM me and we can discuss and I can provide you with a driver that will most likely eliminate the single host issue.

florian

2016-06-02 22:00:37

but can't you just route all MIDI messages using the MIDI router from MT to the DAW using MT's MIDI Router and its virtual MIDI ports?

MT MIDI Router:
Bass Station ---> MT Virtual 1
MT Virtual 1 ----> Bass Station

Studio One:
Only select MT Virtual 1 as input and as output port. Do not use the Bass Station MIDI port.

Florian

PS: you can even duplicate the MIDI stream to another MIDI application by using the second virtual MIDI port and 2 corresponding routes. Up to 9 virtual MIDI ports are available in MT PRo.

ibanman555

2016-06-02 22:49:40

You would think this would work fine, but once the Bass Station port is opened in MT (once applied to the router) it cannot be used in any other program. And the opposite is true, for example if the Bass Station is opened in Studio One, it will connect, but once you attempt to open that port in MT, you will receive an error that it is already connected and set to "pending". Some devices do this and some don't... It can be frustrating.

The duplication of the line is a good work around, that might work in this particular situation.

florian

2016-06-03 00:23:04

yes, instead of opening the Bass Station in multiple programs (which usually does not work on Windows), you open all real MIDI devices in MT, and then route from there as needed using virtual ports.
Thanks,
Florian

ibanman555

2016-06-03 00:48:22

Well well... How about that. It works.

Scr1pter

2016-06-20 10:10:27

Hello,

Yesterday I tested it with the iCon i-Pad controller.
It worked flawlessly the way you described it.
I had the idea to change the port inside of my DAW from iCon 1.00 [Emulated]
to BOM Virtual Port [Emulated] (not sure how the exact name was.)
Then it worked.
It's logical because the iCon 1.00 is already in use by the Midi Translator.

I guess by this method I can also use the M-Audio Oxygen without problems.
(Together with the iCon i-Pad)

Thanks and best regards

florian

2016-07-04 14:27:33

great to hear from you both that it works for you!
Florian