Trial Software Install Problem - Assistive Technology

rikebr

2016-05-20 18:29:22

I recently purchased the Advanced Ableton Template (Will Dogett and Kristian Ponsford, Authors), from MultiTracks.com. The documentation for this template product speaks highly about your MIDI Translator product and in fact, they show some features of their product where I will need your MIDI Translator software in order for it work.

I have tried unsuccessfully for almost a week now to download and install your trial version so that I can verify that everything will work together for me--that is: my computer, the advanced template from multitracks.com, and also your MIDI Translator product. I have not been able to get your product to install however. I am able to download it fine and begin the install. However at the final stage of the install where it is trying to install the Virtual MIDI port, it crashes and gives an error.

So I have attached here, a copy of the screen that shows the install problem along with the error, as well as a file that contains information about my system.

I am looking forward to using your software and I have heard good things about it.

Please advise ASAP. Thank you.
Attachments
System Information Report.txt
(20.42 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Bome-Installation Problem.jpg
Bome-Installation Problem.jpg (254.62 KiB) Viewed 3243 times

florian

2016-05-30 11:42:50

Hi Rikebr,
sorry for the late reply (seems this question was out of scope for our support staff).

We have received one other error report with this problem. We believe it is somehow related to enabled accessibility features in Windows like a screen reader. We have not been able to reproduce this problem, although we've tried hard.

Have you installed or activated any accessibility feature or assistive technology?

I would be great if you could help us here!
Florian

florian

2016-06-03 01:01:16

Hi,
I think we have found the issue: in version 1.8.0, MIDI Translator Pro is not compatible with the "Java Access Bridge". If you get this error, as a workaround, please disable it.

EDIT: for whatever reason (to make our life harder??), you cannot disable it from the Control Panel's Ease of Access|Ease of Access Center|Use computer without a display|Other programs installed.

Instead, as a work-around, you need to run "jabswitch.exe -disable" from your Java installation. Easiest is this approach:
  1. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to Computer, C:\Program Files\Java. In there, you should find one or more JRE's. double click the most recent one, and then go to the bin subfolder. For example, my bin folder is in C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_91\bin
  2. unzip the attached DisableAccessBridge.zip file to that folder. It is a .bat file with only one line:
    jabswitch.exe -disable
  3. Double-click DisableAccessBridge.bat
  4. if successful, try starting MIDI Translator Pro again (or install it again).
Please let me know if that helps. We're working on a way to allow the Access Bridge in the upcoming version 1.8.1.
Regards,
Florian

PS: more background info here.
Attachments
DisableAccessBridge.zip
(213 Bytes) Downloaded 114 times