translator for Zoom R16 and ProTools?

Wattsy74

2016-04-26 10:55:07

Hi,

I completely new to midi and hex so wondered if anyone had a translator file that would enable the Zoom R16 to work as a control surface for Pro Tools? In using version 12.4 at the moment.

My initial problem is the HUI not detected message that PT throws up.

thanks in advance

Ian

ibanman555

2016-05-02 20:04:15

You are receiving the detection error because Pro Tools sends a ping/response request to your connected device. If you use MT Pro as the middle connection/translator between your Zoom R16 and Pro Tools, I can help you create a Translator to satisfy the handshake request.

Wattsy74

2016-05-03 12:53:20

Thanks for the offer.

I've solved the PT ping message and also got the Play, Rec, Stop, FF and REW buttons working by watching and looking at the commands used here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjQLX_PhIt4

It's given me a greater understanding of what works and how, so now onto assigning the other buttons and then the faders and shuffle wheel.

Have to say I'm rather impressed with what Midi Translator can do and I really think that it won't matter what control surface I choose to upgrade to when I do at some point in the future.

ibanman555

2016-05-03 13:50:09

I'm glad my video could finally help someone!! :wink::wink:

Wattsy74

2016-05-03 14:26:47

Ha, I did wonder if it was yours when you offered to help

It's been great, so a massive thanks for sharing. I've just paused it, pressed a button on my R16 for the input, and keyed the same output for play etc as you had. Copied your Ping HUI settings as well :)

What I need to figure it is how to trigger the lights on the play, stop etc buttons working on the Zoom. Also as you can switch between controlling faders 1 - 8 and then 9-16, it would be good if I can figure out how to make the light against that switch to come on so I know which set of faders it will affect. Same with the LED next to the solo buttons.

Interesting LED videos as well. A whole row of those would be cool.

ibanman555

2016-05-03 14:51:19

You can find the code that works with your controller starting on page 105:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0KZ8 ... mZxTmM2TE0

...and here are the HUI docs, since that's what PT uses:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0KZ8 ... TFGYVRZUnc

I'm not sure if the Zoom R16 has built in control of the LEDs based on button pushes, or if you can send midi commands back from Pro Tools to it, it wouldn't hurt to try. As in my MT Pro file, I am sending messages to Pro Tools from my controller, and then I have presets that are designed to send back to the controller. The messages are slightly different... for example:

Mute button From Controller to Pro Tools sends B0 0F 00 B0 2F 42 to PT to activate Mute on Channel 1
Mute button From Pro Tools to Controller sends B0 0C 00 B0 2C 42 and B0 0C 00 B0 2C 02

You see that the "F" changes to a "C" when sending back out of Pro Tools, that is really the only difference. The reason for 2 messages sending from PT is to turn a corresponding buttons LED on or off.... 42 is on , 02 is off.

The LED meter project (costly) has been put on hold... However, I do have 32 channels of LED VU meters that work... I just need to assemble it all!

Wattsy74

2016-05-03 16:44:48

Thanks for all this. Really helpful stuff.

Time (and baby) permitting I'll be carrying on tonight.

ibanman555

2016-05-03 18:30:02

Hahaha understood! Same here :roll:

My pleasure to help, please come back here with any additional questions you might have!

Wattsy74

2016-05-06 10:05:31

So the Zoom R16 does receive midi commands to turn LEDs on or off my play button lights when I press it and goes off when I press stop, then stop lights up, same with FF and REW. All good there.

On my channels, the solo buttons on the R16 solo the correct tracks in PT. I can get the LET to light when I press the solo button on the R16, but how do I get it to switch off again when I press the button on the R16 to unsolo the track?

My input is 90 08 7F, ZoomR16, and my output is 07 08 7F, ZoomR16 which switches the LED on but what do I do to switch it off when I press the same button?

It was easy when I was pressing a different button for the Play, Stop etc?

Thanks,

ibanman555

2016-05-06 11:06:24

Change 7F to 00... That should turn the LED 's off.
Wattsy74 wrote:It was easy when I was pressing a different button for the Play, Stop etc?
Sorry, I don't understand this question

Wattsy74

2016-05-06 12:41:01

Sorry, not well written.

I'll post a screen shot when I get home for work later on. It's probably really simple.

Wattsy74

2016-05-06 22:32:54

Hi,

On this screen shot I''ve setup the LEDs on the Play, REC and and Stop. They all work so that when I press play, it lights up, and when I press stop, the play LED goes out and the stop one lights up.
LED 1.jpg
LED 1.jpg (297.63 KiB) Viewed 27256 times
On this screen shot I'm trying to get the solo button on fader one to light up when I put the channel into solo, this works with Trans 12, but what I can't figure our is how to get the LED to go out when I press it again to get it out of solo mode. With the current trans 13 to turn the LED off means that as soon as I release the button after press it to turn the LED on, it goes off again. If I hold the button down, it stays on.
LED 2.jpg
LED 2.jpg (334.9 KiB) Viewed 27256 times
Any ideas? Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to this sort of thing.

Cheers

ibanman555

2016-05-06 23:07:22

Wattsy74 wrote: On this screen shot I''ve setup the LEDs on the Play, REC and and Stop. They all work so that when I press play, it lights up, and when I press stop, the play LED goes out and the stop one lights up.
So, what you have going here is that you are activating and deactivating the LED's in your transport section using the R16 itself, and PT is not involved at all. This is fine, but if you were to press play, stop or record in PT, your LED's will not respond. There are specific messages that the transport section sends from PT that you can assign to your buttons, if you wish.
Wattsy74 wrote:On this screen shot I'm trying to get the solo button on fader one to light up when I put the channel into solo, this works with Trans 12, but what I can't figure our is how to get the LED to go out when I press it again to get it out of solo mode.
This again will rely on sending messages from R16>MT Pro>Pro Tools. You will send a specific midi message to activate Ch.1 Solo, and each time you press the button, you will see the solo in PT toggle on and off. You will then need to create 2 other translators Pro Tools>MT Pro>R16 to activate and deactivate the LED's for the corresponding solo button. It will look something like this:

Code: Select all

R16>MT Pro>Pro Tools
Incoming: 90 08 7F
Outgoing: B0 0F 00 B0 2F 43
This will take the Ch.1 Solo Button message and translate it to Ch.1 Solo in PT. Each press of the button will toggle solo in PT.

Code: Select all

Pro Tools>MT Pro>R16
Incoming: B0 0C 00 B0 2C 43 (Pro Tools Solo activate)
Outgoing: 90 08 7F (R16 Solo Button on)

Incoming:B0 0C 00 B0 2C 03 (Pro Tools Solo deactivate)
Outgoing: 90 08 00 (R16 Solo Button off)
Self explanitory. However, note the change in code when sending to PT, versus receiving from PT.
Wattsy74 wrote:Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to this sort of thing.
Please don't be sorry.... we all started here at first. You'll have it in no time!

Wattsy74

2016-05-07 01:32:58

My initial approach was to get the R16 talking to PT so I managed to get the play, FF, REW, Stop and REC plus the first 8 solo buttons working.

I'll give this a shot tomorrow, so thanks for the code. Much appreciated.

Wattsy74

2016-05-07 23:47:08

Sorted. Many thanks. Starting to make sense now.

Cheers

Wattsy74

2016-05-26 00:22:47

I've really surged ahead with this now and all my mutes, solo, record buttons and faders work on tracks 1 - 8. The zoom has bank buttons to switch from controlling track 1-8 to 9-16.

The way I thought of doing this in MT was to have two presets, one for control of 1-8 and another for 9-16 and a switcher preset. then the tracks 9-16 button is pressed the switcher preset activates the 9-16 presets and when I press the 1-8 button the switcher preset activates the 1-8 presets.

My problem is with MT and pro tools.
PT Screen.jpg
PT Screen.jpg (395.92 KiB) Viewed 25895 times
As you can see I have the Bome Midi Translator 1 showing with control the first 8 channels. Any ideas how I can also get MT to control the next 8 channels? If I select Bome Midi Translator 1 again for the next 8 channels I get the error 'You cannot have multliple controllers with the same output'. Is there a way that I could have MT1 on the first row, channels 1-8, and say MT2 or something on the second row, channels 9-16?

Cheers in advance.

Wattsy74

2016-05-26 00:35:58

I've just found this thread: Track Selection Follows Bank

Brilliant stuff.

MT and this forum are great.

Loreslord

2016-08-17 06:58:52

Hi Wattsy74!
Now that you've made it could you please share the config file that you made for the r16? That would be very nice! :)