Use APC40 or mini faders with GrandMA

florian

2016-04-13 10:24:38

A user asks this:
I would like to know how to convert midi control change to midi notes. I would like to use a midi control surface to trigger bottoms and faders on my MA on pc program. The bottoms do send up a midi note but the faders do not. Would you give me an example on how to do this?

Is there videos I can watch to make this work?
The midi controller I am using is Akai APC40 but if all this works I am looking in getting the Akai mini.

florian

2016-04-13 10:43:52

Hi,
we're working on videos, but meanwhile, the forum is your friend :)

So the general scheme is:
  • connect the MIDI controller to MIDI Translator Pro (MT) instead of GrandMA
  • use MT's virtual MIDI port 1 for sending data to MA (and back, if needed)
  • modify the MIDI messages in MT as needed (using translators)
Configure GrandMA
For this to work, first configure MA:
Instead of selecting the MIDI controller for MIDI IN and OUT, select Bome MIDI Translator 1 for both MIDI IN and OUT.

Now start MT Pro.

MIDI Router
Go to the Project Properties (in the right sidebar). Scroll down a bit to see the MIDI Router.
Draw a line from the left MIDI Controller MIDI IN port to the right "Bome Virtual Port 1" OUT port.
Now all MIDI data from the MIDI controller will be routed directly to GrandMA. For the return stream, draw a line from "Bome Virtual Port 1" to the MIDI controller.

Test: the MIDI data from the MIDI controller should arrive in GrandMA.

Create Preset
For a clean project, create a new preset (far left list). Give it a name like "APC to MA". While the preset name is selected, the right sidebar displays the Preset Properties. In there, select the MIDI port to be used by this preset:
  1. MIDI INPUT list: check the MIDI controller
  2. MIDI OUTPUT list: check Bome Virtual Port 1
Make sure the ports are checked and the status is marked "open".

Translations
Now you can selectively change MIDI messages by defining the Incoming message (which message from the MIDI controller) and the Outgoing message (which message to send to GrandMA).

Now in the center list, you can create Translators.

For example, for the first fader:
Create an empty Translator.
In the right sidebar's Incoming section, select "MIDI" and check "Capture". Move the first fader on the MIDI controller. You should see messages filling the capture window.
Select one that says "Control Change...". For the Value, select "any value" and check "set variable...". Select variable "pp".
You can close the Capture window now. Also make sure that the "swallow..." checkbox is checked.
Now, whenever you move the fader, this Translator is triggered and the MT variable pp is set to the current position of the fader.
"pp" is a local variable, i.e. you can only use it in this Translator.
Now scroll down for the Outgoing Action. Select MIDI message, Note On. You can select which note to play and, e.g., use pp for the velocity.

Make it useful
This will result in many Note On message being sent to MA whenever you move the first fader on the MIDI controller. I'm not sure that's useful? Let me know how exactly you want the fader to control something in GrandMA.

Florian

Ariel

2016-04-14 21:08:45

Cool I got it to work but, when I change pages and the value on MA is at 50% and the the fader on the midi console is at 0% as soon as I move the fader on the midi console it jumps down to 2% instead of waiting till I pass 50% and then change value. Also, if I have motorized faders on the midi console would this work to change the fader on the midi console to move up or down when I change pages?
thanks

florian

2016-05-31 11:13:30

Hi Ariel,
sorry for the long time of no reply. Have you been able to sort this out?