Program Change to Note with a rule

urbangipsy

2016-04-06 17:50:11

Hello Bome community!

First I would like to say hi to everyone and note that I am a complete beginner with Bome Midi translator. Until now I have used Midi Patchbay and MidiPipe but it seems they can't help me on my mission. I turn to you because you can probably see I am a bit overwhelmed but still trying to do quite a simple thing.

On one side I have a drum machine that sends out Program Changes when patterns change. On the other side I have an iOS app ModStep for which I want to receive notes (to change clips), generated from those drum machine program changes. I figured out how to translate program changes to notes one at a time - so this is solved. The problem occurs when I want the drum machine to play the same pattern multiple times but at the same time I want to send the note to ModStep app only when a different pattern is triggered, not before.

I think this could be solved with a simple rule with a few variables but I admit, I am lost. Would be most grateful if anyone could advise where to look. Thank you so much.

Kind regards

urbangipsy

2016-04-07 02:54:21

I think I may have found a solution. I recorded Midi translator output with Ableton and noticed it is outputting 2 notes for a single pattern change. But the first note is not doubled. Now the only thing left to do would be filtering out the second note - what would be the easiest way to do this? Probably writing this note to "rules" with some code. Please help :oops:

DvlsAdvct

2016-04-07 04:18:50

Hi urbangipsy

For your first problem, you can use a global variable in the rules for each translator. Pick one like g0, for example. Each translator would have a rule that looks like:

if g0==1 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
g0=1

What this means is that if g0=1 then the translator will not fire, but when a new pattern is triggered (a new program change is sent) then it will fire and the variable will change so it doesn't trigger again.

For the second problem, if you want to filter out a MIDI message then make a translator with that message as the incoming signal, but leave the outgoing signal blank. This will filter out the incoming message. Does that help?

Jared