Using Bome with Bitwig Ableton and Max - Help with Rules

richielg

2016-04-02 18:06:45

I'm struggling to understand some things and need some help.

I need to do several things I will give an overview of each and then explain in more depth:

Firstly I have to create a toggle between two notes. The first time you push the button it would send out for example C1 and the second time its pushed C5 and so on. This needs to be done across multiple buttons with different notes for each.

Secondly on another instance of Bome on another computer I need to interpret these toggled midi notes as the same note.

Thirdly I need to implement a midi modifier key that doesn't output a value when pressed but when pressed in conjunction with another button would for example transpose the outputted note from C1 to C4. This also needs to work for a CC value if I hold the modifier key and change a knob by any amount it needs to send a defined midi note.

Ok so the set up I'm working with and what its actually going to do:

Im using Livid Cntrlr with Bitwig on my mac and im using Ableton and Max on my old dell. The midi routing for reference - on the mac Cntrlr into Bome and Bome into Bitwig. The dell laptop takes midi in from the mac, goes into Bome and then into Ableton and Max.

The midi implementation is great in Bitwig compared to Ableton. You can assign one button to control unlimited parameters and parameters can also be controlled by unlimited different buttons or knobs etc. This allows for some very interesting custom works flows to be built. The work flow can become quite complex at times which is why I use Max inside of Ableton. All that I use Max for is to create a custom GUI for my Livid Cntrlr so that I can dynamically label the parameters on a per project basis. Cntrlr allows for up to four separate banks which is impossible to do from memory in a meaningful way.

A simple way this manifests its self inside a project is for example putting a high pass filter on the drum mix, dial in 200hz, automate this parameter with a button on Cntrlr, then bring the parameter back down to zero and automate this with another button. This creates a dj style eq kill switch but using two buttons. I need to perform this action toggling from one button. The reason I need Bome is in Bitwig when automating a parameter with a button is assigns the specific parameter value to a midi note. There for to switch between two different parameters with the same button the button needs to toggle two different notes.

Max is running inside ableton on my Dell and it has the GUI that ive made that represents my assignments on the Cntrlr. The buttons inside Max/Ableton behave in the normal toggle fashion. So I need Bome on the dell to interpret the toggled midi notes as the same note to toggle the button on and off. This is essential as ableton only allows one parameter mapping per control.

Lastly the Cntrlr GUI has a neat feature that allows for a midi automatable button to be pushed and automatically bring up a text field to rename the parameter which is very convenient. It works great with the 12 push button encoders I have on the Cntrlr. But it needs to work with all of the other buttons, knobs and faders. This is where the modifier key comes in. The modifier key needs to be pressed in conjunction with the pad knob or fader that you want to rename. You can predefine all of the assignments here. Each control on the Cntrlr GUI has an additional special midi assignable button which brings up the text box that allows you to rename the parameter. Each button on the Cntrlr GUI is midi assigned to the unique note which is generated from bome when the modifier key is pressed in conjunction with either pushing a button, moving a knob or moving a fader by any amount.

Ok so thats the sum of everything I need to do in Bome. This is the final stage in the setup and i'm finding the documentation challenging I really don't understand how to implement the rules at all any help would be massively appreciated.

When are you bringing out version two? Coz if its in two months time and ten times easier I will just sack it off and makes some techno for a bit ;)

Cheers

Rich

richielg

2016-04-18 21:15:19

I think I can do all of this stuff in Max i was just looking at it the wrong way round. Sorry for the overly long post lol.

florian

2016-05-31 11:11:39

Hi Richie,
if you ever need assistance with MT Pro's MIDI mapping or routing, let us know. And indeed, long posts can be a bit overwhelming at first...
Thanks,
Florian