Help with Note/Velocity translating please?

randallpatrickc

2016-03-30 17:56:53

Hi,

I have been struggling for an hour and am not getting anywhere and am absolutely sure one of you guys could show me a translator that does what I need in 10secs! Help!:

Ableton Live is sending Note On and Velocity on Ch 2 from a "lighting control" track.

I have an ancient DMX lighting controller that accepts 16 different NoteOns (to select the outgoing channel from 1-16) and Velocity (to set the intensity)

After experimenting a bit I see that Ableton (of course) generates a Note Off too. This causes the DMX controller to turn off the channel right after turning it on. (rats).

Can some kind soul tell me how to lose those Note Offs with BMT please?

Hopefully yours,
Patrick
SW Florida

randallpatrickc

2016-03-30 22:46:23

Update - ok, a little progress - it seemed quite simple to drop the Note Offs. Just a translator that (just) generates a Note on. No Note off out of Bome :-)

Now, I need to (presumably) take the velocity of the Incoming note (pp?) and send that out unchanged. Is that easy too?

Sorry to be so thick (old person alert)

randallpatrickc

2016-03-30 22:59:00

Stumble stumble...

I set variable pp to incoming velocity

Then I define a rule where variable oo = pp

Then I send out a Note On with velocity oo

Nothing pops out

Is there any way to disable all these MIDI timing messages (makes the log window very hard to use)

Sorry to be so thick

DvlsAdvct

2016-04-01 16:09:18

Hi Patrick

No worries on the learning curve. It can be kind of a pain, but once it makes sense it's easy.

If you set the velocity to the same pp variable for incoming and outgoing, it should be fine, no need for rules.

Let me know if that works
Jared