Changing senstivity of knobs (HELP)

NeedOfAnAssistance

2016-03-17 17:36:53

Nice people at Bome,
I have a question regarding bome software:

- What do I need to do to change that my midi cc increases faster in Ableton with a knob on my midi controller?
Currently my midi knobs on my controller are quite slow. So I hope anyone could help me with this issue I would be more than happy. I apologize if this was already asked before.

Thanks.

ibanman555

2016-03-17 21:09:55

When you say knob, are these knobs endless encoders or potentiometers? And, what is the controller you speak of?

NeedOfAnAssistance

2016-03-18 01:17:57

Behringer cmd-dc1, I think it has endless encoders. Thanks for helping me.

ibanman555

2016-03-18 02:43:36

Connect your controller and open a new Midi Translator file. Open a new Translator in the main window , and in the incoming section to the right, select your midi controller.

Open the log window, which appears on the bottom of the screen, enable "Midi in", and turn an encoder. There should be data streaming in the log window when you turn the encoder. What are the midi messages displayed in the log window?

NeedOfAnAssistance

2016-03-18 06:07:46

[CMD DC-1] B5 10 41, when I twist the knob to the RIGHT
[CMD DC-1] B5 10 3F, when I twist the knob to the LEFT

Thanks yet again

ibanman555

2016-03-18 14:27:45

Ok so what's happening is when you turn the encoder to the right, that last message (41) going to be the changing number. If you turn the encoder quicker, that number should increase. The opposite goes for turning the encoder left.

What you will want to do, in basic terms, us create a IF/THEN statement and change that data to another number. Just below incoming in the right hand window it says rules. This is where you will change the values of the varying number.

Before continuing, in the settings menu, create at least 4 virtual midi ports, we will use this to send the translated message to Ableton.

In your Translator you created, type B5 10 pp as the incoming message, and assign that incoming message to your controllers midi port (CMD DC-1). In the outgoing window, type B5 10 qq and assign that outgoing message to the BOME virtual port 1. You should see that midi port available in Ableton. If not, save and restart Bome.
Now in the rules window to the right, type a if/then statement to change the incoming pp value to the appropriate qq value. It will look like this:

If pp=41, then qq=51
if pp=42, then qq=52 ect.

Copy and paste this code and retype the pp and qq values seen above, and repeat at least 10 times. Do the same for the opposite direction

3F=2F, 3E=2E, 3D=2D ect.

I'm sure there is a simpler mathematical method but this works just fine too.

Try that, and adjust the numbers to adjust sensitivity. Should work out well.

NeedOfAnAssistance

2016-03-18 16:44:39

Sorry, but could you give me a specific example of 3F=2F.

ibanman555

2016-03-18 17:07:56

if pp=3F, then qq=2F

DvlsAdvct

2016-03-22 16:59:26

Hi NeedOfAnAssistance

Are you trying to just get the left and right messages to repeat a little faster? Like, every time you turn the knob it sends two or three messages in quick succession instead of one?

Also, what software are you using it with?

psilopsyduck

2016-03-22 17:57:28

I'm working on this same problem at the moment. I've just started with Bome so it's mostly trial and error so far.

Using the free Classic Edition.

psilopsyduck

2016-03-22 18:26:22

Discovering that there's no ability to create rules with the free version. :|

Gonna download the trial of the Pro version...

psilopsyduck

2016-03-22 20:32:52

DvlsAdvct wrote:Hi NeedOfAnAssistance

Are you trying to just get the left and right messages to repeat a little faster? Like, every time you turn the knob it sends two or three messages in quick succession instead of one?

Also, what software are you using it with?
I've just had luck setting up something with this line of thinking. For this success I was using the Pro trial. I have not had success setting this up in the free Classic version.

I too am trying to increase the 'speed' of my endless rotary encoder. This encoder 'clicks' into each partial rotation and each 'click' wasn't producing enough movement for the parameter I'm trying to control (crossfader in Ableton).

I've effectively just turned one click into 5 by sending the same MIDI message 5 times.

The MIDI input is my controller (Allen&Heath Xone:K2) and the output is Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out.

I set up two translators, (one left, one right). Each has the incoming action set to a Raw MIDI message ('BE 14 74' for a left rotation 'click'), and the outgoing action is another Raw MIDI message with this signal listed 5 times with whitespace delimiters (BE 14 74 BE 14 74 BE 14 74 BE 14 74 BE 14 74).

In my DAW (Ableton) I select Bome MIDI Translator 1 and this effectively 'speeds' up the response of my endless rotary encoder.

* I can't get this to work with the free version. It looks like it doesn't support Virtual MIDI ports. Is there another way to send this 'multiplied' information to my DAW? Can I use the same MIDI input 'port' (XONE: K2 MIDI) as a MIDI ouput 'port'? It doesn't look like it. In my DAW it appears that the MIDI message remains unchanged as though the DAW is grabbing information directly from the controller without any processing. Are the Virtual MIDI ports necessary for talking to a DAW like this?

DvlsAdvct

2016-03-23 17:34:44

The free version does not support virtual MIDI ports. You will need the pro version for it.

Out of curiosity, can't you set sensitivity within Ableton's MIDI menu?

regardless, your solution is perfect.

Thanks
Jared

psilopsyduck

2016-03-23 22:22:07

No, I can't set the sensitivity within the Ableton MIDI map. You can set Min/Max ranges for 0-127 knobs but not for this endless rotary encoder.

In order to send information to a DAW do I need the virtual MIDI port?

Does that virtual port establish the flow of control between Bome's and my DAW?

ie: Is selecting my controller (not the virtual port) in my DAW looking at the incoming MIDI information in parallel with Bome's? Even if in Bome's I list my controller as the target for MIDI out?

DvlsAdvct

2016-03-25 19:47:23

You need to set the virtual port to send the new data. For example, if you're using a controller directly integrated with Ableton like an APC or a Push, this is not really doable. You would just activate the incoming and outgoing ports as the virtual ports in Ableton. If you route the MIDI message in MT to your controller, then the controller is receiving the message, which doesn't help.

Does that make sense?
Jared

psilopsyduck

2016-03-27 07:18:12

Yes. Thanks for the explanation. :)