Basic Conversion

Zachzaba

2016-03-15 21:45:58

Just trying to get a fader of the BCF to work in MA. I "activated" the port so that it shows up in the Midi Router window. From there I saw the BCF2000 in the "Midi Router" and dragged a connection to "Bome Midi Translator 1 Virtual Out". In the Event Monitor I get signal for MIDI IN and ROUTER OUT.

I then made the preset and new translator where I could capture Midi.
In the Incoming window I chose "midi message" and "raw midi/system ex". On my fader I capture "B0 58 0f"

Is there an automatic conversion at this point or do I need to manually populate the Outgoing MIDI message for my lighting software to see?

DvlsAdvct

2016-03-17 02:03:30

Hi Zachzaba

You actually don't need a translator if the router is connected. If you leave the router connection and delete the translator, the MIDI message should pass through to MA, as long as it has the Virtual Port 1 In active.

Jared

Zachzaba

2016-03-18 02:09:43

My understanding is that MA can't "read" MIDI CC for the faders knobs etc.

I guess my main question is when I capture "fader 1" and get B0 58 0f what do I put for the Outgoing Midi Note? Can I essentially put anything as long as I record it correctly in the MIDI REMOTE screen.

DvlsAdvct

2016-03-18 14:26:34

What does the outgoing message need to be? MA can only read Note messages, correct?

Zachzaba

2016-03-23 16:38:51

That's correct. I capture everything and just go down the line punching in MIDI note info. As long as I have that all going to the virtual output and then thats the input within my other software that should be good in theory?

DvlsAdvct

2016-03-23 17:33:15

Alright, so you want to remove the router connection, only because it isn't going to be needed.

The problem with your incoming message is it is listening for 0F. That message is a specific position of the CC message, and the translator will only trigger when it reaches the 0F (15) position. Instead you want to use the variable pp.

In the outgoing message, use whatever note message you want, and use the velocity as that same variable, pp, and they should just pass the position through.

Let me know if that works.
J

Zachzaba

2016-03-23 21:09:16

Thanks I will try that when I get back to that MIDI controller...what does PP stand for?

As far as "router connection" is that the same as the Virtual Out on the MIDI router?

DvlsAdvct

2016-03-23 21:48:18

Router connection means any connection you've made in the MIDI router, like between the device and the virtual MIDI port.

pp is a local variable. This means that instead of waiting for a specific message to trigger, it will trigger any time the other bytes are met. Meaning, if your incoming message is 90 30 0F, it will only trigger when that individual message is sent, with a velocity of 17. If, however, your incoming message is 90 30 pp, the translator will fire when the note is received, regardless of what the velocity is.

This can be used for other things, so you could have a translator that says 90 pp qq, which will fire any time a note on message on channel 1 is received, regardless of the individual note or its velocity. Does that make sense?