Midi to text

melmac69

2016-03-11 07:23:25

For Mac OS
Is there a way to save test or phrase to to a keyboard shortcut that can be inserted via a midi message.
i.e midi note c2 will inset into the Traktor search engine the word "Techno" or any word of my choosing.
Further more if I have an abbr: ch*r5e4mv*pi*po

where the midi note c2 will always put ch* in the same place and if there is another 3 character abbr is the same place i.e th* it

will replace the text and not add to it.

midi note d2 = th*
midi note e2 = db*

The same would need to apply to the other part of the abbr where r5 is column e4 another, mv* another, pi another and last po*

another

I have an abbreviation system I would like to use in Traktor to find certain genres, energy levels, rating ,etc.
I would like to assign it to note/cc's in Lemur on the ipad.

This way I can do my searches with one push on Lemur and it will search for me on Traktor.

Is this possible with Bome Translator maybe another program is needed?
I am not a programmer so hopefully if it is possible there will be a simple way to do it
I hope this makes sense.

florian

2016-03-11 11:49:47

Hi melmac,
great idea! That should be possible. If you don't have a license for MT Pro yet, please test with the trial version first! You can run it as often as you want, but after 20 minutes you need to restart. Be sure to save before the 20minute mark!

In short, it works like this (after starting MIDI Translator Pro):
  1. the left list has the presets. Click on the default "New Preset". The right pane should display the Preset Properties. The second part there lists the MIDI IN and OUT ports for the preset. Check the Lemur port as "specific Port" in the MIDI IN list.
  2. Now edit or add a translator in the center pane:
    • under Incoming, select MIDI message. Use MIDI Capture to get the MIDI message from Lemur you want to use for the first MIDI shortcut. Click on the MIDI message in the capture list you want to use and close Capture with the X.
    • under Outgoing, choose "Key Stroke", select "Text" mode and type your search term into the text box, e.g. "Techno" (without the quotes)
  3. save this MIDI Translator project file!
Now you can test with a text program: switch to a text editor like Notepad, Text Edit, or a word processor. Invoke the MIDI message on your MIDI controller (Lemur app) and it should write Techno.

Then you can start experimenting. Entering symbols like * works, too, and you can also emulate keyboard shortcuts, also mixed. For example, most text fields can be cleared with Cmd-A + Delete (or, on Windows: Ctrl-A + Delete). When entering keyboard shortcuts into the Text field, enter the shortcuts as if invoking directly. So your outgoing text looks like:
"Command(A) Delete Techno". MT Pro displays overlapping keys with parenthesis.

Last thing, and I don't know Traktor enough to answer this, you may need to put focus on the search text field somehow. If there is a keyboard shortcut for that, then it should be easy, because you can include it in the outgoing action, too. If not, maybe there is a way to configure a keyboard shortcut in the settings. DvlsAdvct should know more about this.

Please let us know how it works, and would be nice if you can post your project file on the forums. Seems like a useful thing for many other Traktor users!

Thanks,
Florian