Basics of MIDI translation

Zachzaba

2016-02-23 17:03:28

Hi guys, most of the threads here are way over my head so I figured it couldn't hurt to post my super basic questions :)

Long story short I have Bome that I am using for MA lighting Software which only accepts MIDI notes. I have a few different options (the APC40 and BCF) that have buttons, knobs, faders and a transport/control section. My understanding is that the buttons are simple MIDI notes, the knobs and faders are utilizing CC and the transport is MMC. So my case it sounds like the buttons do not need to be converted but the faders and knobs would.

When I create the Translator for say Fader1 I first go to "INCOMING" and Capture the Midi using "RAW MIDI/SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE". What actually dictates the OUTGOING ACTION? So my incoming is "B0 07 pp" and my outgoing is "90 01 pp". Is the B0 the CC message and the 90 my actual MIDI note (ie compatible with my software)?

Thanks!

DvlsAdvct

2016-02-24 02:20:35

That is exactly how it works. Whenever MT Pro receives B0 07 pp it will send out 90 01 pp, with the pp messages always being the same.

Don't hesitate to bring any questions here.
Jared

Zachzaba

2016-02-24 18:45:09

Great, thanks.

So I did dig into CC a little bit more, Im just trying to figure out the convrrsion to the outgoing action.

So for my fader my incoming trigger is B0 07 pp. I've captured this and I noticed the "Raw Midi Message" saying "CC ch1, ch vol 7, pp".

Is the "B" just telling me that its CC? I the first 0 (as ch 1) and the 7 (being volume control) but whats the second 0 for?

DvlsAdvct

2016-02-24 19:02:33

B is the message type, in this case CC (9 for Note On, 8 for Note off)
0 is the channel - 0 for 1
07 is the whole message. 07 is the MIDI message being sent. This is a double-digit message (goes from 00 to 7F)

and pp is the position (also 00 to 0F)

Make sense?
J

Zachzaba

2016-02-24 19:42:02

Sure does, it took me a little while to grasp that these are essientially 2 different languages. Bome is just converting it to a random midi note?

Zach

DvlsAdvct

2016-02-24 20:23:55

Not random, whatever you assign. It's also converting the MIDI data to hexadecimal for the display.