BMT & GlovePie? noob ideas, support request (modifier key on '2nd control')

i@mJONNY

2016-01-24 15:33:19

What's the big idea?! A noob's DIY rig - support for midiots
Hi! I'm using Reaper, and would love to use my DJ2GO as a 'control surface'.
Currently it's mapped to channel 1, so first I'd like to add a translation/route that sends all MIDI (from that device) on channel 16.

I've got a 2nd (usb PC) keyboard, and with GlovePie I can distinguish between keypresses on that HID, as oppose to my laptop's keyboard.

I'd also like to add a modifier configuration/rule, so that secondary functions/mappings are performed, when the modifier is held down...

That's the tip of the iceberg, but already I'm stumped! Is this possible? Any ideas on how?!
Apologies if I've posted on the wrong board

DvlsAdvct

2016-01-28 02:48:17

Hi i@mJONNY

Yes, everything you want to do is totally possible.

For your first issue, you need to create one simple translator which will translate your messages from the DJ2GO from channel 1 to channel 16. It would look like:

Code: Select all

Translator 1: DJ2GO
Incoming Message: MIDI Message
Note On
Channel: 0 - Channel 1
Note: Any Note
Velocity: Any Velocity
Outgoing Message: MIDI Message
Note On
Channel: 15 - Channel 16
Note: Any Note
Velocity: Any Velocity
For the second issue, you need to use a global variable, or a preset. A global variable is set in the rules, and can be referenced by any other translator. It is used for any kind of shift key. You'll need two translators, though. One for when the key is pressed, and one for when the key is released. This will make the message momentary, so when you release the "shift" key the variable resets to 0.

Then, what you need to do is reference that global variable in the rules of every message. So, if you use the global variable g0, any message you want to send when the "shift" key is NOT pressed needs a rule that says:

if g0!=0 then exit rules, skip outgoing action

And any message you want to send when the "shift" key IS pressed needs a rule that says:

if g0!=1 then exit rules, skip outgoing action

If you decide to use two different presets, then you technically need three presets. The first preset will hold your "shift" translators (press and release) and the other presets will hold the different messages, when the button is down or not held. You can decide which you'd prefer, and I can put it together.

Hope that all makes sense
Jared

This will prevent the same key from sending two messages at once.

i@mJONNY

2017-01-27 19:48:56

Thank you thank you thank you.

Those instructions seem almost idiot proof... about to try my 1st translation, will post results!

erm, thanks!

i@mJONNY

2017-01-29 20:28:44

can the CAPS LOCK state be used to control a variable?
looking for existing native options (laptop kb no numpad) with visual feedback (LED ON!)
thanks!

i@mJONNY

2017-01-31 00:23:45

I've been trying the test projects shared by the legends that are prkid and sjcaldwell...
https://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 107#p25107

they're sharing tips on building translations to turn on leds when certain conditions are met... but...

I can't even get them to switch on at start, or ever. and I think it's routing related.

Given the objective is to get a midi message back to the controller, do I need more routing?

totally guessing!