Newbie Question re Sysex to Midi CC conversion

Muzza152

2016-01-24 02:15:05

Hi everybody and sorry if these appear to be dumb questions, but I can't seem to get my head around this...
I bought the Roland VR-09 a week ago, and it only sends out sysex messages and for the life of me I can't get to the bottom of what I want to do...so here goes..
I have a Mac and I am trying to get the sysex messages sent out by the VR-09 converted to some kind of readable format like midi cc so that I can use the rig as a bond fide midi controller for my soft synths
I downloaded sysex librarian and have been messing around with that, and it receives the sysex message, and of course transmits it back to the rig, but this is not exactly what I am chasing...
I also have a Mox8 keyboard that I have connected to the VR-09 via midi cable and they speak to each other (I run the Mox8 in master mode), but it's this sysex to cc conversion that has me stumped..
Even if I can just control the volume of the soft synth from the VR-09 that would be a huge win..but I'm not quite sure how one sysex message can control a whole range (128 steps?) like volume...
I've looked through the midi implementation chart and I feel as if I'm very close but I just can't seem to :oops: this...is Midi translator the answer?
I'd appreciate any answers you may be able to provide and thanks for reading..

DvlsAdvct

2016-01-27 19:40:39

Hi Muzza152

You can definitely use MT Pro to convert the Sysex messages to CCs. It's just variable based on how complex the Sysex messages are, but we can get it sorted. You'll need to utilize translators and rules to get it to work. :)

Thanks
J