block simultaneous midi notes for midi guitar to Trilian bass

GuitarBass

2015-11-17 18:49:38

Hi, I used Bome midi translator for years in a setup which added bass to my acoustic guitar sound. Thanks for imagining this great product. Now I started to use a new setup: a Fishman TriplePlay guitar to midi converter with a Trilian Bass module and a KMI softstep2 and this sounds and works amazingly well. The 3 lower strings of my guitar trigger the Trilian and by using a sostenuto CC message thru the softstep I can single out those notes to whom I want the Bass sound applied. The Fishman hold function allows to block other incoming midi notes untill I trigger the next sostenuto message. The only trouble I have is when I make full chords in a downward stroke. When I do this my triggering is not fast enough to avoid the other bass notes to sound. When all of the 3 bass strings are triggered, it makes a mess and the last (highest) bass note ends up sounding instead of the lowest one, which is what I would need. Note that I already limited the Trilian to one voice only (so Mono instead of Poly) I wonder if Bome can help somehow to block certain midi note messages to be send out, if they are within a certain limit of time ( say max. 100 milliseconds for example) from a first note message that is send out. If so, can you set me on the way. If you see another way to achieve this, please let me know. I basically need the first note (Low E string on the guitar) which I hit to be send out without having the other two guitar strings A and D to trigger bass. Many thanks for your input. Hein

Florian's answer:

Hi Hein,
thank you for your email and my apologies for the very late reply.
Anyway, regarding your setup: this is definitely possible, in different ways.

One straight forward way is this:
1) when a (first) note comes in:
a) let it through
b) remember this first note in a global variable "g0"
c) start a timer "block simultaneous notes" with 100ms
2) now if another note comes in:
a) check g0. If g0 is not 0 and the new note is higher than g0, swallow it.
b) otherwise pass through the note
3) when the timer "block simultaneous notes" expires, reset g0 to 0

Attached is the preset. Note that the order of translators is important!

Hi Florian,

amazing, just amazing!

Would it (with a slightly adapted preset) also be possible to let pass the lowest string and block the second string?
If so, can you give the preset for the third possibility too: let the two lowest stings pass and block the highest string?

Thanks,
Hein

Hi Hein,
yes, you can arbitrarily block strings -- either by note (range), or by order.

Hope that helps,
Florian.
Attachments
BlockSimultaneousNotes.bmtp
(2 KiB) Downloaded 182 times

GuitarBass

2015-11-18 12:30:15

Hi,

I am trying to install the preset that Florian gave me.
I am really a beginner in this, so forgive my ignorance.
Concerning routing you wrote:
[MIDI.routes]
In0=From Fishman
Out0=To Trilian

I suppose the first thing I should do is select Trilian and the Fishman as default ports for the project, right?
But actually the Trilian does not show up in the list of the project Default midi ports.

Trilian spectrasonics is a plugin sampler. It is hosted by the Fishman app which is a guitar to midi converter.
Is that the reason why it does not show up in the list? What can I do about it?

I also had loopbe1 installed on my laptop. I probably dont need this anymore, now I installed Bome.
Should I get rid of it?

Thanks for advice.

Hein

florian

2015-11-18 13:28:48

Hi,

you should load the .bmtp file attached to my email and your post into MT Pro using the "Open" function in the File menu or the Open tool button. It'll configure the default ports, the MIDI routes, and the translators for you. It'll ask for the actual MIDI ports to assign to the MIDI aliases "From Fishman" and "To Trilian"

You will probably not need the LoopBE ports anymore.

Best regards,
Florian