Keystroke containing Shift not functioning

ibanman555

2015-10-13 14:56:04

Hey again,

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I can't find a post regarding my issue.

I've got a controller sending out message 0x80 0x51 and am trying to assign that button to an Outgoing key stroke Shift(Alt(3)). This is what it looks like when I capture a keystroke action using "physical key". If I press this key combination on my qwerty keyboard with my program on the forefront, it works. I can see in the log that this key combination is outputting MTP when I press the button assigned to do so, but it isn't functioning the same as using the keyboard. The PC gives an error chime. This happens with any keystroke containing 'shift'. Any other keystroke not using 'shift' works fine.

I made sure the program is on top/forefront, I've tried the 'injecting' method available now, and I've also tried assigning each key separately assigned to Key Down, followed by a delayed Key Up action... Still nothing. What am I missing here? Thanks in advance!

DvlsAdvct

2015-10-13 17:44:50

Is this happening when you assign an individual MIDI command to each button as well? I just want to confirm.

Thanks
Jared

ibanman555

2015-10-13 17:54:41

Sorry I don't completely understand your question... If I assign an Outgoing midi message to that button instead of a keystroke it works fine. For example I tried "Control (.)" keystroke to that button it preformed it's function in the program also.

DvlsAdvct

2015-10-13 21:49:22

No no, I mean, if you assign a button to shift, a different button to alt and a different button to 3, and hold all of them down does the key string trigger correctly?

ibanman555

2015-10-14 17:31:37

I assigned 3 of the buttons to different key presses, shift, Alt & 3, all using the "Physical Key" option. I am getting the same system error chime and it is not performing the keystroke, as it does with using the actual keyboard.

What does MTP emulate using "Physical Key" option compared to Key Up, Key Down and Text?

I've also tried assigning each button and key to a Key Down action, and another 3 translators with Key Up, delayed a couple hundred milliseconds. Neither are working properly. Could this be something specific to my music program? I would imagine if MTP is outputting exactly the same as my keyboard would, it should work. I'm Stumped.

ibanman555

2015-10-23 16:54:57

Can anyone else confirm this isn't working properly, or is it just me?

florian

2015-10-26 16:52:35

Hi ibanman,
sorry for the late reply. "Physical Keys" will always emulate press+release of the given key (sequence). So trying to construct a key combination with Physical Keys does not work. For that, use the separate Key Down and Key Up types:

Code: Select all

Translator 0:
Incoming: B0 09 01
Outgoing: Key Down "SHIFT"

Translator 1:
Outgoing: Key Down "ALT"

Translator 2:
Outgoing: Physical Key "3"

Translator 3:
Outgoing: Key Up "ALT"
  Delay: 100ms

Translator 4:
Outgoing: Key Up "SHIFT"
  Delay: 110ms
This is used by many users, so I'd be surprised if keystroke emulation is broken.

BUT note, as clarified in the documentation, keystroke emulation may not always work with all programs. Please test with Notepad (Windows) or Text Edit (OS X) first.

If it turns out that your music application does not accept the emulated keystrokes, these other ways may work just as well:
  • injecting keystrokes (Windows)
  • AppleScript (OS X)
  • mouse emulation
Regards,
Florian