Using button to "pause" input in current position?

Jakcrivey

2015-10-05 05:22:40

(Before I start in with what's probably a very rookie-level question, I just wanted to say that I'm amazed at the great responses I've seen in this forum while searching! Granted, none of them answered my question, but it's so refreshing seeing a forum where practically every question is answered!)

I have a self-centering control (basically the same as a pitch wheel). Hold it one way, CC Controller 102 (or whatever # I want - I have BMT, after all! :lol: ) goes steadily to 127. Move it in the other direction, it steadily goes towards 0. Let go of it, and it sends 63.

I also have a button which sends 127 on CC Controller 112 when held, 0 when released.

What I want is to push the button and have CC Controller 102 remain "frozen" at whatever value it's currently in, no matter how the hardware is moved. Then when I push the button again, the controller operates as before. This would, of course, also require converting the momentary/gate-input button into a toggle, which I gather can be done in the wonder that is BMT. Though if not, no biggie, I don't mind having to hold the button down in order to work the lever.

Anyway, how would I go about doing this?

DvlsAdvct

2015-10-07 16:01:54

Hi Jakcrivey

We can definitely handle this. My only question is, when you turn off the toggle, how do you want the signal to respond? For example, if you unlock the wheel, should it reset to its current position where you're holding it (jump to 63 if you're not holding it) or wait for you to reach its "current" position via soft-takeover?

Thanks
Jared

Jakcrivey

2015-10-08 06:43:10

DvlsAdvct wrote:Hi Jakcrivey

We can definitely handle this. My only question is, when you turn off the toggle, how do you want the signal to respond? For example, if you unlock the wheel, should it reset to its current position where you're holding it (jump to 63 if you're not holding it) or wait for you to reach its "current" position via soft-takeover?

Thanks
Jared
Oh wow, I didn't even know soft-takeover would be an option - that's definitely the way to go! :D

DvlsAdvct

2015-10-08 17:31:15

Well, soft takeover CAN be an option, but it's a FAR more complicated process. If we can avoid it, it would be ideal. Can whatever is receiving your MIDI signal handle the soft takeover on its end, as opposed to the MIDI end?