MIDI CHannel 17

Sacco

2015-09-30 15:09:08

I was told some functions in FL studio (core functions) like Metronome On/Off, Countdown, Wait for input respond to channel 17 internally. (yes channel 17 :) is the way they interact with their tablet based wireless controller)

The reason I ask is because I'm currently using these functions with keystrokes but the problem is that I need a specific window focused in order for the keystroke to work (yes, also with the normal keyboard this happens) so I would like to control these directly under the hood.

Somehow also, in FL studio I cannot use the target window option in MTP

Of course ....any port in the MTP has up to 16 channels, as in any standard MIDI port.

I wonder if we can have ports with more channels than just 16 for this matter in the future.

florian

2015-09-30 23:53:27

Hi Sacco,

using the "injected" keystrokes will not work with all programs, but a bit of trial and error can help: try to select a different window inside FL Studio, maybe even the main window, or just a sub window...

I can confirm, however, that it is technically impossible to send on MIDI channel 17. Internally, one can do that, but a MIDI portcan only send on 16 channels.

Regards,
Florian

Sacco

2015-09-30 23:58:37

Is there any limitation that will prevent you from programming a port that has more than 16 channels?

About the target windows, I did all that...nothing worked :) but since FL is written in delphi and doesn't even use standard windows I won't rely on that too much.

florian

2015-10-01 00:08:06

Yes, there is a limitation: when sending MIDI message on a MIDI port, the field, which contains the MIDI channel number, is 4 bits wide. With 4 bits, you can encode 16 different numbers, and therefore, not a channel 17.

On a side note, I found 16 channels not enough, too, and so I'm actively working on the standardization of the next generation MIDI protocol (code named "HD Protocol" by MMA). It allows for thousands of channels :)

Sacco

2015-10-01 00:12:10

:) thats awesome.