Virtual MIDI ports fail to open after upgrade to Windows 10

Kulu Orr

2015-08-25 09:00:22

Hi,
I've been working with BMT Pro for years (current version 1.8.0) and very satisfied!
Yesterday I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and since that moment BMT keeps telling me (on the same presets and configurations that appeared to work perfectly fine on Win 8 ):
"Error(015): MIDI output "Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out" could not be opened (maybe in use by another program?). It is set to 'pending' so that it is used automatically when it becomes available."
And The same for "Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual In".
All MIDI signal processing from keyboards, from Alesis MIDI I/O etc. work fine. All "Physical Keys" keystroke outputs work fine. However the Virtual Port refuses to work neither in nor out. These past few hours I tried searching the web and the forums for solutions, but to no avail.
Ideas?
Thanks,
Kulu

Kulu Orr

2015-08-25 09:02:23

For some reason the "Win 10)" in the previous post was turned into some kind of smiley...

Kulu Orr

2015-08-25 09:03:53

On last point I neglected to mention - there are no other programs running and/or using said MIDI ports - I am starting up the computer and running BMT only.

Kulu Orr

2015-08-27 10:03:22

Hi,
Any insight? Ideas?
At the moment I am completely stuck - without the ability to output MIDI data from BMT my entire hardware system built around it is useless.
Should I try and roll back to Win 8? I read some horror stories of people doing that so I'd rather not, but if there is no way to use BMT with WIN 10 at the moment I'll resort to that. But please tell me what you think.
Thanks,
Kulu

DvlsAdvct

2015-08-27 16:03:01

Hi Kulu

So sorry for the delay in responding.

The first step I'd recommend is uninstalling and reinstalling the MT Virtual Ports. Something might have run into a conflict in the upgrade. If you go to Add/Remove programs and select MT Pro you should be able to uninstall only the Virtual Ports. And then re-run the installer to install only the virtual ports.

Apologies if you have already tried this.
Thanks
Jared

Kulu Orr

2015-08-27 16:18:06

Hi Jared
Thanks for the reply - however earlier this afternoon, as I really needed to get on with my work, and seeing as I was totally stuck due to the virtual port not responding, I rolled back the Win 10 installation and returned to the Win 8.1 I had before. That seemed to have resolved all problems and I could continue working after an almost 3 day hiatus.
So thanks for the excellent idea you suggested, however it seems like I won't be the one to check it out - I'll let someone else cut their teeth on Win 10 and wait on the sidelines for now cheering them :-)
Thanks!
Kulu

James Yo

2015-08-28 17:58:56

Hi,

I had some problem like that also. My midi ports would not be view in my daw. I had to go to the peripherals and make the hidden peripheral appear and there was a lot of bmt with copy of themselves.

So I have deinstall midi port them from bome first. Deinstall them in the peripherals manager in the audio, video controllers and also one that had the bome in the peripherals system in french périphérique systèmes. I have uninstall bome reinsall it and they were again there.

I think that opening a 32 bit software has mixed up some link in the program. I am on windows 10 pro.

Hope it can help.

florian

2015-08-31 12:00:50

Hi James,
thanks for the explanation. In general, going to Windows Device Manager and removing ports there should not be necessary.
Uninstalling and then re-installing the virtual ports should be sufficient:
  1. open Control Panel, Applications
  2. double click Bome Virtual MIDI and acknowledge to remove them
  3. reinstall MIDI Translator in custom mode, check "reinstall virtual MIDI ports"
Regards,
Florian

James Yo

2015-09-02 16:46:29

Thank for the info but I have done that.

The problem has been appearing today again. While opening deckadance I dont know if it's that only but all of my midi driver are gone midi from my rme, spark and brain livid instrument also.

again in the device manager I have a copy of each bome midi chanel and all of my other midi drivers.

Uninstall my midi driver from bome

Uninstall my midi driver in the peripherals manager

restart computer.

reinstall bome midi and the drivers

return to normal.

I will have to send this to Gibson forum also.

Yannick

florian

2015-09-03 23:47:24

Hi Yannick,
that's not nice! Of course, it is possible that deleting ports in Device Manager messes up the system and makes it unstable. But we have made sure that the Bome virtual MIDI ports can be deleted either from Device Manager or from programs like MIDI Translator, or by uninstalling it using the uninstaller in the Control Panel's Applications app.

What do you mean by "my midi driver"?
Florian

James Yo

2015-09-06 21:10:31

Midi driver thhttp://www.bome.com/forums/download/file.php?mode=view&id=554at I have to delete
Midi driver thhttp://www.bome.com/forums/download/file.php?mode=view&id=554at I have to delete
midi drivers.png (419.42 KiB) Viewed 16390 times
Here is a picture of what I mean by midi drivers.

florian

2015-09-07 23:31:52

that's very weird. There should not be copies of the virtual ports, and the MIDI devices in the device manager should have numbers attached to them... In Device Manager, can you right click on one of the BMT ports, select properties, and verify the version? It should be 2.0.0.38.

In any case, you should do a clean install of the virtual ports. Please follow the following steps in this order.

1. Please use use Control Panel|Applications to
  • uninstall MIDI Translator Pro (also old installations of MT Pro 1.7), then
  • uninstall Bome's Virtual MIDI Ports
2. Please go to device manager to check if there are still any "Bome" entries in these two sections:
  • Sound, Video, and game controllers
  • System Devices
If you find any, delete them in device manager.

3. Reboot.

4. Install MIDI Translator Pro 1.8 again:
  • Choose Custom Mode
  • check "Force reinstalling the virtual MIDI driver"
I hope this will work!
Regards,
Florian

James Yo

2015-09-08 17:29:37

Okay tried to check the driver of the ports and it says 10.0.10240.16384 on the software peripherals

On the port in the sound, audio and video I have the 2.0.0.38

I have done the uninstall with also the driver when I install I have the same port that are copied.

So didn't do anything new.

I will let you know if I have other problem. But I will check if I can see something else.

florian

2015-09-08 20:43:58

Thanks. We'll try to reproduce that on Windows 10.
Regards,
Florian

florian

2015-09-11 11:18:34

Hi,
to verify our tests with the pre-release version of Windows 10, I installed a fresh Windows 10 and then installed MIDI Translator Pro 1.8, then activated 8 virtual MIDI ports with short name "BMT". They work fine.

In Device Manager, I can also see the duplicated Software Devices entries (probably for input and output each), though you should not activate or deactivate anything in that category. It is maintained by Windows. The relevant category is Sound, Video and Game Controllers.

See here for the correct view in Device Manager for 8 ports:
BomeVirtualPorts_Windows10.png
BomeVirtualPorts_Windows10.png (34.63 KiB) Viewed 15361 times
Now both you and Kulu experienced problems when updating Windows 8.1 (?), with MIDI Translator Pro already installed, to Windows 10. I'll try that next.

Thanks,
Florian

James Yo

2015-09-11 17:01:02

Thank's for the follow up.

I am checking if I change my hard drive that as a couple of years if I have the same problem I will get the system on an hard drive that didn't have any system before. Thank you for the precision of the copied port in the device manager.

Have a great day.