Keystroke output not working with Ableton Live 9 on Windows 8.1

Dig

2015-08-24 16:19:30

Hi,

This is particularly frustrating because I had this problem while using the trial, it mysteriously went away, I went ahead and bought a license for BMTP, and now the problem has mysteriously returned. I need BMTP to be rock solid, obviously.

I'm running BMTP 1.8.0 build 757, Ableton Live 9, and Windows 8.1

Details:
- My translator looks for CC 125 on Channel 2, and triggers the keystroke output for the DELETE key
- In Ableton Live, I have a MIDI controller (Quneo) mapping it's Channel 2 output to the BMTP virtual input port
- This works fine and sends a DEL key to every other application I've tested it with (notepad, wordpad, Chrome, email etc)
- It does NOT work in Live 9.

As I said, when I first setup the BMTP trial I had this problem when I first tried to setup a translator. It was mysterious when it started working for the first time, because I hadn't changed anything. It was after a reboot (I had tried many before that) and a test with notepad that it started working. Kept working for a day, even through some restarts. The next day after a cold restart, it doesn't work anymore.

Is there something about the new BMTP and Live 9 that are incompatible an causing instability? Is there a setting somehow changing without me realizing it that's causing it to stop working?

Any help that anyone might have is appreciated!

Dig

2015-08-24 23:59:14

I think I figured out the problem. Will report back if it fails again, but it appears that...

If you run Ableton Live "as Administrator" (as most of us using windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 are doing!) then you MUST ALSO RUN BMTP AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Seems like you guys should put this somewhere at the top of the installation instructions, or at least in some sort of "Ableton setup" document. Most people end up running Live as an administrator, and they'll waste a lot of time trying to figure this out.

florian

2015-08-25 21:37:31

Hi Dig,
thanks a lot for "digging" this out! Indeed, from a technical point of view, it makes sense, because a non-admin should not be able to interfere with a program started as admin!

I'll add this information to the program right at the Keystroke Outgoing Action, and to the user's manual.

Best regards,
Florian

SRangel

2016-05-05 10:44:07

Wow, thanks! I never would have thought of that.
I had the same promlem with Live 8. Now I can finally delete clips with a button from my controller.
:D