Using one physical control to modify another

jessetal

2015-07-29 09:41:25

Hi!

I've seen one or two Youtube videos in which Korg PadKontrol users ised multiple x/y pad settings in the same scene by accessing different MIDI cc assignments for each access by pressing different pads.

For example, when holding down pad 1, the x/y pad would output values for cc's 7 and 10 on its x and y axes respectively. However, pressing and holding pad 2 while using the x/y pad would control a different pair of MIDI cc's.

How is this done?

Can such MT setups be stored in a PadKontrol for use in standalone mode with other MIDI hardware?

DvlsAdvct

2015-07-29 15:56:23

In regards to your second question (which I'm assuming is the more important one), no you cannot store MT patches in the Korg PadKontrol. I don't know if the PadKontrol editor allows for anything that advanced, but you would need your computer in between, at least for now. in a few months we'll be releasing the BomeBox which will be able to sit between your PadKontrol and external gear and be used without a computer.

As far as what you want to do, yes, you can definitely do it. What you would do is assign a global variable to the X/Y pad, and change its value by pressing a pad on your PadKontrol. I'm going to assume that if you do not hold a pad down the X/Y pad just works as a passthrough. Your translators would look something like this.

Code: Select all

Translator 1: X Pad
Incoming Message: B0 01 pp
Rules: if g0==0 then qq=01
Exit rules, execute outgoing action
If g0==1 then Goto "Pad 1"
if g0==2 then Goto "Pad 2"
if g0==3 then Goto "Pad 3"
[i]//you would put as many of these lines in as you have pads assigned to change the value of the X/Y pad[/i]
Label "Pad 1"
qq=03
Label "Pad 2"
qq=05
Label "Pad 3"
qq=07
Outgoing Action: B0 qq pp

Translator 2: Y Pad
Incoming Message: B0 02 pp
Rules: if g0==0 then qq=02
If g0==1 then Goto "Pad 1"
if g0==2 then Goto "Pad 2"
if g0==3 then Goto "Pad 3"
[i]//you would put as many of these lines in as you have pads assigned to change the value of the X/Y pad[/i]
Label "Pad 1"
qq=04
Label "Pad 2"
qq=06
Label "Pad 3"
qq=08
Outgoing Action: B0 qq pp
And then you need the translators for the pads. You can wrap this all into one translator, or have one for each pad depending on what you want. I'll put it all in to one pad.

Code: Select all

Translator 3: Pad Shift
Incoming Message: 90 pp qq
Rules: if qq==0 then g0=0
if pp==0x0A then g0=1
if pp==0x0B then g0=2
if pp==0x0C then g0=3
Outgoing Action: None
if value of pp in Translator 3 is the note of the pad you're pressing to augment. When qq==0 (or the pad is released) g0 will always go back to 0, meaning the x/y pad will pass through without any augmentation.

Does that make sense?
Jared