switching three fullscreen programs with midi key

jimjam

2015-07-24 06:09:54

Hello,

I had a brief look through the forum to make sure I wasn't asking a repeated question; so please kindly re-direct me to a previous thread if this has already been beaten to death.

Here's my question:

I'm setting up a performance rig to run three different programs and I want to use the translator to toggle between them in fullscreen.

I am attempting to do this using some unassigned keys on a APC40.

I did this successfully by using the the midi translator and assigning different notes to "windows key" + 1, 2, 3, 4, etc for each program. (the programs I want opened are in order in the windows taskbar, the "windows key" + # opens the corresponding program in fullscreen and also brings it to the front, which is the desired effect).

My problem is is that it seems that the midi translator has to be visible on the screen in order to use the command i.e. if I press the midi note it brings up the corresponding program in fullscreen (yes!) but if I then hit a note to bring up a different program the midi translator does not respond (no!).

The whole point is that I want to be able to toggle back and forth between programs and I want the translator to run in the background.

I tried unclicking the "stop processing with this translator" box, and it did not change anything.

My hypothesis is that the midi translator only works when it is the active window on screen - but I want to confirm I"m not missing something before moving on to a new solution.

Any ideas?

jimjam

jimjam

2015-07-24 06:29:56

okay...

I think this appears to be important information:

The programs I am wanting to switch between are ableton, traktor and max.

When I tried using the translator to bring up chrome it worked fine, but when I set it to toggle between ableton and traktor it got stuck after it brought up the programs in fullscreen.

DvlsAdvct

2015-07-24 15:22:10

It might be easier to assign them to mouse commands, and point the mouse to their icons?

jimjam

2015-09-16 00:56:20

hello all,

So, a little update.

I got everything working... I'm using my APC40 and I can switch in between programs using midi keys.

But, I ran int another problem as part of this project, which necessitated switching to Windows 10 (not related to the MIDI translator).

Unforatunatley, a new problem has developed in windows 10.

Now, switching only seems to work 1 time, and then I have to manually activate the translator screen before it works again.

I made sure that "stop processing with this translator" was unchecked, but I am not sure what else to do.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

JJ

jimjam

2015-09-16 01:46:02

... I seemed to manage to fix it.

Bome seems to only work properly in my application when it is run in administrator mode. (Right click on the icon, click advanced in general, then select run in comptability mode).

My theory is that, for some reason, Windows 10 treats it differently then Windows 7 did, and it with some applications unless it is running in administrator mode, if the Bome window is not active it wont see the midi signals and wont be able to translate.

I don't know if this is the right explanation, but now with Traktor or Ableton as the active window Bome still functions as it should.

Hope this little nugget helps some others.

jj

florian

2015-09-17 11:55:55

Hi jimjam,
I don't think the MIDI part is the crucial part here. You can easily check this out by checking the Log Window in MT (enabling MIDI IN) when not running as admin.

However, controlling other programs via keystroke has definitely changed (maybe already in Windows 8.1?). If the other program (to which you want to send keystrokes) is running as admin, then MT needs to run as admin, too. Is that true for you?