Log Window becomes sluggish and ultimately stops working

gabriels

2015-07-09 19:57:08

After a time spent debugging, I notice the display of the Log Window starts to slow down ... (the lines displaying inputs, rules, and outputs start scrolling more slowly).
The effect is more noticeable when one certain translator is enabled. This translator receives input from Gableton (feedback about switch closures, potentiometer movements, etc...which is sometimes quite profuse).
Eventually, even though I've waited for the display to stop scrolling, and I'm not moving any controls, I find I'm unable to enable and disable presets or translators. Clicking on the check boxes seems to have no effect. But if I wait long enough after clicking one of these checkboxes, finally the box becomes checked (or unchecked).
If I then save my work, exit MT, and then relaunch it, everything works as it should.
I'm quite sure this happens even if I disable the preset that receives (and acts upon) feedback from Ableton, though I get the feeling that somehow it's related to this issue.
I just now thought that maybe, if I save a copy of my project that has this particular preset deleted, things might act differently. I can't do this just now, but will report later if it "worked".
Thanks,
Gabriel

gabriels

2015-07-10 10:38:33

I neglected to mention that when the slowdown occurs, the log window will continue to scroll for a minute or more, even when there is no input from Ableton (which I notice puts out quite a lot of data even when only one parameter in my controller changes slightly and is sent to Ableton)
Even when I exit Ableton during this slow streaming so no more data could possibly be coming from it, the streaming continues for at least 30 seconds, and often more.
I think that my controller is still getting the correct messages to Ableton via MT, at least for a while. I'm not sure if this eventually also starts to degenerate.
Of course, I'll continue to try to characterize these difficulties. I don't focus on them exclusively because inbetween these episodes, which require me to exit and the launch MT again, I do get quite a bit of debugging done. However, when the streaming starts, the log window never stops streaming by, and therefore doesn't allow me to see what's really happening.
Gabriel

DvlsAdvct

2015-07-10 15:47:22

Hi gabriels

How are your virtual ports structured?

gabriels

2015-07-10 18:50:48

Hi DvlsAdvct,
I don't understand what you mean by structuring of virtual ports. Can you explain?
But maybe this is what you mean:
I believe I only have one virtual port. I've always been a bit confused about these virtual ports, in that it's explained somewhere in the MT literature, that the ports are unidirectional...which makes me think:
- That I can only use a particular virtual port as an input or an output. So therefore:
- If I were to assign a port as an input, I cannot use that same port as an output.

However, I noticed that after assigning my single virtual port as an input, it was still available as an output, so I used it as both.
Is that a problem?

So, my structure is as shown below: Note... the dots on the 2nd and 3rd lines are just there to preserve the spacing of the diagram. The only relevant graphics are the dashes, the vertical lines, and the arrows.

|---->----- {BMT Virtual In 1->MT>-BMT Virtual Out1}------>---Ableton--->----|
|.............................................................................................................|
|.............................................................................................................|
|-------------------------------------<---------------------------------------|
Thanks,
Gabriel

DvlsAdvct

2015-07-10 19:01:13

While yes, you can use Virtual Ports in both directions, connecting the same port to the same app in both directions can cause problems. Instead of using Virtual Port 1 In and Out connected to Ableton, can you switch to Virtual Port 1 Out from MT Pro to Ableton, and then using Virtual Port 2 Out from Ableton to MT Pro?

So in MT Pro you would activate MT Virtual Port 1 Out and MT Virtual Port 2 In
and in Ableton you would activate MT Virtual Port 1 In and MT Virtual Port 2 Out.

Let me know if that helps.

gabriels

2015-07-10 20:59:49

OK... will do!
I'll let you know how that turns out.
Thanks,
Gabriel

gabriels

2015-07-13 04:31:26

Thanks DvlsAdvct,
Tried using Virtual Port 1 as output from MT, and Virtual Port 2 as input from Ableton. No improvement: BUT,
I found the problem.
- For each of my tracks in Ableton, I use one fader to control Track Volume, several other faders to control various parameters of effects assigned to that track.
- When I move the Track Volume fader, MT sends a midi message to force"Clip View" for that channel.
- When I more any of the effects related faders, MT sends a message to force "Track View" for that track. At that time I also initiate a timer that, after 2 seconds triggers a translator that forces a return to clip view automatically.

This timer was causing the problem. Evidently, I initiated the timer for each value as I moved an effects fader, and the timers must have been "piling" up inside MT, ultimately choking it.

I suppose I could fix this by limiting the timer initiation to once only (for the first time the fader is moved), but I've decided that I really don't need the function. The way I "play" my controller, is less like a 747 pilot looking at a multitude of gauges and readouts, than like a musician playing an instrument. I "navigate" by sound, not by sight, and may not use a screen for visual feedback at all.
Thanks for your suggestions and for the terrific support through the years.
Gabriel