remember all window sizes and layout?

gabriels

2015-07-05 21:19:24

The version history lists the ability to remember all window sizes and layout as a minor improvement, but I haven't figured out how to do that. Each time I launch MT, I need to resize the different panes in the User Interface. Any hints?
Thanks,
Gabriel

florian

2015-07-06 08:32:45

Hi, thanks for reporting. This might be a bug! Can you tell me exactly, which panes you need to resize?
Thanks!
Florian

gabriels

2015-07-06 18:27:04

Hi Florian,
I have to resize all the panes. I've attached two screenshots. One shows the panes as they are when I save the bmtp file. The other shows the panes as they are after I've closed MT and then relaunched it. The green vertical line shows is there because I'm hovering over the dividing line between the preset and translator panes (which I have to drag to the right in order to re-establish the view I want.
I will say that this is different on my work computer (where I am now - A Xeon W3570 cpu based computer running Windows XP ) and my home computer (An Asus ROG751 Laptop with 4720HQ processor and Windows 8.1). I'm not sure of this now, but I believe, on my home computer I seem to have to drag three dividers in order to re-establish the view I want. At home, the Preset panel is also minimized (all the way to the left of the screen) and I believe the log window is somehow minimized...not sure.
Thanks,
Gabriel
P.S. I believe the attachment files are not being uploaded. I'll send them as well in an email to Florian.
Attachments
Panes when I save the bmtp file.docx
(162.66 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Panes when I re-open the saved bmtp file.docx
(136.66 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

gabriels

2015-07-08 21:18:12

Hi Florian,
Strangely I now get intermittent results, at least on my work (XP) computer.
- When opening a bmtp file that I've emailed to my work from my home computer, it opens with the same problem (panes are wrongly sized).
- I resize the panes, then save, either to the same filename or to a different name, and then exit MT
- If I launch MT again, sometimes the panes revert to the wrongl sizes, and sometimes they remain as I want them.

As I said, this happens intermittently, but I do believe that once it opens correctly, subsequent exits and relaunches seem to stay correct.

At home, however, so far, the files always open up with the "default" (wrong) sizing of the panes.
I thought at first, that maybe an initialization preset which turns off about 32 LEDs was causing the problem. These LEDs are turned on when I first power up my controller but I want them off. I've tested by disabling the preset and saving the file, but that doesn't seem to have an effect.

I'll keep you posted if I figure anything out.
Thanks,
Gabriel

gabriels

2015-07-08 21:51:43

Hi Florian,
I believe I'm zeroing in on the conditions under which the panes remain the same when launching MT. It seems if I resize the panes to my liking, then "Restore Down" MT (making MT itself run in a resizable window), it will open correctly if I exit and then relaunch MT. However if I save the file when it's maximized, it opens incorrectly on relaunch.
Ooops... wait, I just did it again, and it seems to now be the opposite. It opens correctly if saved with MTmaximized and then Restored Down to a smaller size before exiting. Then when I relaunch, MT opens up in a reduced size window, and the panes are correctly sized.
So... I guess this whole line of endeavor is merely a hypothesis.

In any case, this is a minor issue, and I'm content to know you're probably frying bigger fish!
Thanks,
Gabriel

florian

2015-07-09 09:29:08

Hi Gabriel,
maybe here is a major misunderstanding: the window and pane sizes are stored on the computer, not in the project file. In the Settings window, you can use the Export/Import functions to export your settings (including the window and pane sizes) to a file which you can then import on a different computer.

In general, MT should always look the same when re-opening on the same computer. I have just tried again, and I could not reproduce any problem, even if using a maximized window.

If you find a problem, please try to write down the exact steps to do for me to reproduce the issue.

Thanks!
Florian

PS: bugs in this "not crucial, but annoying" category are very important to us! we want you to enjoy working with MIDI Translator...

gabriels

2015-07-09 19:44:26

i'm embarrassed to say that MT is now launching with panes just as they should be. I can't say that I'm doing anything differently, so I'm afraid I've sent you on a wild goose chase. I do recall, a while back I exported the settings to try to figure out what that was all about, but I don't think it's intended that this is necessary in order for the pane sizing to "stick". Furthermore, I believe my problem existed even after I exported the settings.
So for now, this feature is working as it should.
Thanks,
Gabriel

florian

2015-07-14 23:01:50

strange, but I'm happy to read this! Keep us posted if the problem should resurface, and I'll keep my eyes open for this.
Florian

barrie

2016-02-13 23:33:35

I'm experiencing this on a Mac os X 10.10. I initially thought it was the classic (not saving the window layout), but then I purchased and am still having the same issue (very annoying). I even uninstalled and re-intsalled Pro.. still having the issue. And it's of all windows.

hellokitty

2016-02-14 00:25:13

yeh the panes and scaleing are bieng wierd for me. windows 10 64bit. the program seems to work just fine, but i just started useing it myself.

florian

2016-02-25 00:58:23

@barrie: MT Pro stores position and size of all windows and panes... so it might be a problem with the permissions of where MT Pro is storing the preferences. It stores them in a file in a hidden folder ".Bome" in your home folder.
You can open a terminal and type this command:

Code: Select all

mkdir ~/.Bome
If that doesn't help, here is an issue I found via Google:
By going to Finder and going under "Get Info" for my homedir, I have
gone to Sharing & Permissions and changed from Read Only to Read &
Write which seems to fix it.
Btw, we'll switch to a more common place on OS X to store the preferences.

@hellokitty: could you please clarify what is weird? MT Pro does have a somewhat unique look and feel, but we believe it's quite usable...

Thanks,
Florian