Triggering Yamaha Midi Bass Pedals

pmahoney

2015-06-30 01:13:18

I'm a guitar player using Yamaha FB01 Midi Bass pedals & a Yamaha QY10 sequencer. I want to be able to trigger a pattern on the sequencer with my bass pedal. I know this equipment is old but I can get both the sequencer & pedals to talk to the translator, just not sure how to interface both of them and have the pedals start a pattern on the QY10. I've tried a lot of different hook up options, still can't get it to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

DvlsAdvct

2015-06-30 17:42:50

What message does the QY10 need to receive to start playing a pattern?

pmahoney

2015-06-30 23:55:48

Hi,

Midi Message is Note On #7

DvlsAdvct

2015-07-01 20:58:34

Alright, and how are the devices connected to your computer for MIDI Translator to listen and send to them?

pmahoney

2015-07-01 23:48:12

If I plug the Midi In from my EMU XMIDI USB interface, to either device it works with the translator. However, I tried chaining the qy10 to the bass pedals (midi in to out, etc) Only the first device in the chain works with translator. I noticed the bass pedals show a midi message of Note on #1 as a side note.

DvlsAdvct

2015-07-03 16:11:49

Unfortunately, MIDI devices can't chain through MIDI Out. You'd need a MIDI Thru port to chain information, and those are becoming increasingly rare these days. If your interface has multiple outs that MT Pro can route to, you can connect them all to MT Pro and route through that way.

The reason both bass pedals are showing a signal is because the MIDI Out from your first pedal is just sending a complimentary signal, instead of a translatable signal. So you press pedal one, it sends it's Note On 1 out to pedal two, with responds to Note On 1, and then sends that out again to your sequencer which can't do anything with that signal.

What you would want to do is connect both the In and Out of the MIDI Bass Pedals to the XMIDI device, and then also connect the XMIDI to the sequencer, if you have enough ports for that.

Does that make sense?
J

pmahoney

2015-07-04 03:40:30

Yes, it makes perfect sense. I will have to get a USB/Midi interface with multiple ports and I'm sure this will clear that issue. I will re post if I continue to have problems triggering patterns from the sequencer, Thanks very much for all your help! :)