Remove Old Devices from list of Alias assignment possibilities

gabriels

2015-06-26 21:27:02

An age-old question, I know, but now with MT v1.8, I'm wondering if there's a way to remove a device from the list of devices that can be assigned to Aliases.
I no longer own, and never intend to reinstate several devices which MT "remembers" I once had, and offers in the drop down list of assignable devices. Now with MT v1.8, it's much easier to ignore the un-needed devices, but it can still get confusing.
I never was able to remove these devices in v1.72, though I did read several threads relating to the problem. Is there now a simpler way to remove these devices, or, failing that, could someone please give me a step by step set of instructions for doing so?
Thanks,
Gabriel

gabriels

2015-06-27 01:56:24

oops.... I have it wrong. v1.8 takes care of disconnected devices beautifully. It's the old aliases I can't get rid of. How do I delete them?
Gabriel

florian

2015-06-27 10:35:43

Hi, in MT 1.8, you can remove unused aliases directly by selecting them and using the Delete button (or right-click menu).
However, if you delete an alias which is used in your project, it will be recreated next time you load your project.
Using means an alias is referenced in
  • the project properties
  • any preset properties
  • any MIDI incoming or outgoing action
  • a route in the router
So, to get rid of "old" aliases entirely, make sure they're not referenced in your project anymore.

Has that resolved your issue?

gabriels

2015-06-28 07:31:57

Florian,
I'll look through the Properties and routes, and check the MIDI to see if that's what's happening.
But first, I'm trying to fix a problem I have with MT becoming unresponsive after several minutes of use. I think it's some kind of feedback loop from Ableton combined with some careless programming on my part, but I haven't been able even to characterize it well yet.
I'll report back on both issues.
Thanks,
Gabriel

florian

2015-06-28 11:27:52

Hi Gabriels,
you can also load the .bmtp file directly into a text editor like Notepad or Text Edit and search for the alias names that you think should not be used anymore. While I don't recommend editing .bmtp files directly, it should give you the location of where you're using such aliases.

Regarding feedback loops and the like: usually, you can find the problem by using the Log Window (from the View menu).

Regards,
Florian

gabriels

2015-06-29 22:42:07

Florian,
MT 1.8 is exonerated! I had a translator with a conditional statement that depended on a flag which was set in another translator. I was interpreting that flag incorrectly, and instead of blocking most input from Ableton, it let everything through in a torrent.

You're right about using the View Log function... I'm quite familiar with it, and that's how I ultimately tracked the error down. One thing I would wish for is the ability to stop any input into MT with a single mouse click. I had so much data coming through that I couldn't see what was going on. Using the check boxes at the bottom of the screen to block certain kinds of input is very helpful, but an absolute block of everything, immediately would let me stop input exactly when I want to examine results. Wait...maybe the panic button does that. I'll check.

I usually use a text editor to help debug, but have normally loaded the text file exported from MT. I can see the advantage of loading the BMT file itself, for example to find the aliases giving me my problems.

So, I'm off and running again, nearly completed with my (too long) project of interfacing between my DIY Ableton Controller and Ableton itself. And this time much more conveniently and effectively thanks to the new version of MT.
Thanks,
Gabriel