Turn BCR2000 knob to three way switch

Mprod

2015-06-15 23:23:17

Hi there,

I need some help here. Is this possible?
I would like to turn my BCR2000 knob with led indicator ring into a 3 or 4 way switch. The message out to the vst is no problem. Im looking for a way to have the knob leds indicate 3 discrete values (or 4 or 5 for that matter). I have been able to turn it in a three way indicator with this
in B0 5A pp.
qq=pp-127
qq=qq+64
out B0 5A qq
I send this message back to the BCR2000 to control the led ring and I make a separate translator to translate the turns to the midi message to a virtual output for the vst.
And this works kinda, but it is extremely sensitive and continuous (setting the bcd to relative makes it absolute, but still very sensitive). I would prefer it to skip to the next led after 1/3 of a turn.
I also looked into the possibility to change the value range of the knob on the BCR2000 itself. I can set it to e.g.from 0 to 2 (so it sends 0,1,2). This kinda works because now you have the first three lights lighting up with each value at nice intervals, but i would prefer the lights to be further apart and have the knob turn a little further (1/3 of the led ring) before it jumps leds.
You can also set the bcr2000 to relative values (and 14 bit for that matter) don't know if this helps.

DvlsAdvct

2015-06-16 22:32:34

Hi Mprod

I'm confused by what you're trying to do. Do you mean you want the knob to light up in three distinct groups, as you reach certain points, for example:

Knob is at 0, all LEDs off.
Turn knob and first 1/3 lights up
Second 1/3 doesn't light up until knob has actually turned to that point
etc?

I just want to make sure
Thanks
J

Mprod

2015-06-17 21:30:56

yes exactly, thanks for clarifying. Sorry for being unclear, english is not my primary language.
PS some encoders can only indicate their setting with one moving light instead of a bar of lights. Only the top row of encoders can show a 'bar' of lights. But the result is the same. I want the lights to indicate discrete values, not continuous.

DvlsAdvct

2015-06-17 21:40:30

I haven't used the BCR in a LONG time, and had only borrowed a friend's, but as far as I recall there was no way to divorce the knob LED and the knob position. I'll put down how the translator should look, but I can't promise it's going to.

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Knob Turn
Incoming Message: B0 30 pp
Rules: g0=pp
Outgoing Message: B0 30 pp

Translator 2: Knob LED
Incoming Message: B0 30 pp
Rules: if g0>0 then pp=43
if g0>43 then pp=86
if g0>86 then pp=127
Outgoing Message: B0 30 pp
You want to make sure the first translator outputs to your DAW or software, whereas the second translator outputs to your controller.

J

Mprod

2015-06-20 21:50:33

Hi thanks for your reply and suggestion! I tried something similar before, but unfortunately this does not work. As soon al pp=127, i cannot decrease it anymore. The rule "if g0>86 then pp=127" makes it impossible to decrease the value.
Any other suggestions?

DvlsAdvct

2015-06-20 23:18:36

Ah well, that makes sense. Let's try it with some logic. Leave the first translator as is, but change the rules for the second translator to read:

Code: Select all

if g0>0 then Goto "One Third"
if g0>43 then Goto "Two Thirds"
if g0>86 then Goto "Three Thirds"
Label "One Third
pp=43
Exit rules, execute outgoing action
Label "Two Thirds"
pp=86
Label "Three Thirds"
pp=127

softcore

2015-06-24 23:22:45

Do notice that BCR ( and BCF) feature a "dead time" function - this is a time specified in milliseconds, during which a control you moved (knob in our case) will NOT "listen" to incoming feedback and this is a setting found in the global parameters of the BCR device. In plain English you MIGHT need to incorporate some milliseconds of delay in the "BCR feedback" translator outgoing message, before the actual calculated LED feedback value "arrives" back to the BCR from the Midi Translator Pro process - if I recall correctly this by default on the BCR is around 100 - 150 milliseconds (definitely not sure of the value, I may be mistaken)

If BMT sends the LED feedback message sooner than that "dead time" the LED ring will NOT reset itself to the desired "position".