Keystroke Emulation Stopped Working

mvm

2015-06-06 20:54:15

I have been testing MT out on a couple of computers at our church. I use Ableton on the main computer to send MIDI notes to two other machines that control our projector and lighting. I used a similar setup a while back and everything worked fine, but I've run into a strange problem using a different projector computer this time.

My MIDI commands are getting to both computers fine. The lighting PC is working without any problems. On the projector computer, MT shows that I am getting the MIDI note correctly (the "MIDI In" light at the bottom of the programs lights up). It also lights up the "Translating" light and the "Key Out" light. So, everything seems to be working up until there. The problem is, the keys are not actually being pressed/emulated. I have tried opening up notepad and other applications, but I do not get any keystrokes.

I have tried restarting, reinstalling MT, and everything else I can think of. I was wondering if there is a driver or something that is not installing correctly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

florian

2015-06-06 23:41:28

Hi mvm,
interesting, never heard of such a problem! There is no driver necessary.

To further look into this problem, can you tell me name and version of the operating system, the version of MIDI Translator, the language setting of the computer and the keyboard, and attach the project file to your forum post? Thanks!

Florian

kurtr2

2015-06-24 16:13:32

this is happening to me too, no keystrokes, Bomes 1.7, Macbook pro yosemite.

isn't there some mac preference to configure?

thanks,Kurt

florian

2015-06-24 16:28:39

Hi Kurt,
there is absolutely nothing to configure for emulating keystrokes (i.e. simulating pressing keys).
note that it only works when MIDI Translator is NOT the active window. For example, activated a text program and then let MT "type" into it.

Also open the Log Window in MT to see what's happening.

This is one of the most used features of MT, so I'd be surprised if there's a general problem with it... You can also check out the new version 1.8 if that helps anything.

Regards,
Florian

kurtr2

2015-06-25 03:11:14

i make a new translator and capture the incoming midi trigger, select a keystroke for the output, and in the midi monitor it registers the incoming midi signal but does not output anything (looking at the midi monitor inside of Bomes). as well checked it in my target program: no keystroke)

[x] Translator 0.120: New Translator
Incoming: MIDI B3 7F 7F, on port Mastermind GT : MMGT Output (RJM Music Technology)
Outgoing: Keystroke: Command(Z )

florian

2015-06-25 11:08:38

Thanks for the clarification. Have you looked at the Log Window (open it from the View menu)? if it shows the incoming MIDI message, but no outgoing keystroke, your translator is set up incorrectly.
Thanks

Garbageplay

2015-09-27 23:55:15

Florian, can you try to replicate my problem?

Download OBS obsproject.com (any version but .655 is what I'm using on windows 7)

Create a couple of scenes in the left pane.

Right click and set hotkeys to CTRL+ALT+1, CTRL+2, etc

double check that they work.

Create bome midi translations for them.

Note that they fail to output.

Is there a work around for this?

Sacco

2015-09-30 15:05:32

same here. Keystrokes aren't working anymore, even if I choose the window through the special checkbox that allows me that.

Sacco

2015-09-30 21:06:25

I know why now.

You must open MTP with admin privileges. Now they work.

florian

2015-09-30 23:49:58

Hi Sacco,
thanks for reporting.
I assume you're on Windows?
Which program are you controlling via keystrokes? Is that program running with admin rights, too?

Thanks,
Florian

Sacco

2015-09-30 23:51:59

The program was running with admin rights, but MTP wasn't...when I set it up to do so it worked right away.

Windows 10 here. This is between FL studio and MTP. Everything else worked besides the keystrokes.

florian

2015-10-01 00:04:11

thanks. This starts to become an FAQ! I wonder, why programs like FL are started as admin...

Sacco

2015-10-01 00:05:26

florian wrote:thanks. This starts to become an FAQ! I wonder, why programs like FL are started as admin...
Let me try opening it without admin privileges.

Sacco

2015-10-01 00:08:35

Ok so setting both without admin worked. The keystrokes work too.

I was actually having problems dragging files into FL until I disabled admin privileges.

This admin crap is sometimes a mess.