Sustain pedal that holds only notes with velocity below 30

rv_midi

2015-05-23 21:12:17

Ok i would love to have my sustain pedal be selective. Notes with velocity below 30 would be affected by sustain pedal ON/OFF. Notes with velocity 31-127 would COMPLETELLY ignore sustain ON/OFF messages.

This would be the example sequence of midi played by me.

I press sustain pedal ON
I press C,D,E velocity 10,15,8 and I press G,F velocity 70,90
I release all keys

< notes C,D,E would continue play sustained >
< notes G,F would die off >

I release sustain pedal OFF

< notes C,D,E die off >

This effect is for live performance where using single keyboard i play drone notes that i sustain for several seconds with a sustain pedal ON, but at the same time over these sustained notes i fire quick melody lines that shouldnt sustain although the sustain pedal is still pressed ON... i figured out that by setting a velocity threshold i can decide on the go which notes will be affected by engaged sustain pedal (those with velocity < 30) and which wont be affected by sustain pedal (those with velocity > 30)...

DvlsAdvct

2015-05-27 16:35:32

Hi rv_midi

This can get really complicated. Right now, the Sustain pedal is sending a note to your software, telling it to activate sustain. Is it activating a separate mode, like Legato? Or is it setting a global parameter in your DAW that tells it to activate sustain?

What we could, theoretically, do is have it only activate the sustain on individual notes, but that depends entirely on how your DAW will parse that information.

Does that make sense?
Jared

rv_midi

2015-05-27 17:24:59

Iam sorry i was AFK. Actually this one i cracked without Bome so i guess there is no need to spend time on it unless someone insist on using Bome.

I use Ableton Live 9.1 so i setup an INSTRUMENT RACK where i duplicated my VST synth (with same patch) into two identical Instances 1 and 2. I designated VELOCITY RANGE for each synth instance inside the INSTRUMENT RACK. Instance 1 recieves velocities 0-30. Instance 2 recieves velocities 31-127. Than i used a MAX/MSP device (http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... idi-filter) to filter SUSTAIN CC64 on the Instance 2. Voila!

Depending on velocity i play, the notes are picked up either by Instance 1 (0-30) or Instance 2 (31-127). Since Instance 2 has filtered out CC64, only Instance 1 (0-30) recieves Sustain CC64. Therefore only notes with velocity 0-30 get sustained. Done!

Thats sufficient solution for me. Bome would probably achieve it too but in this case iam happy and i prefer to move on. If anyone likes to have this function with Bome be my guest. Since Ableton is my primary DAW iam fine with this. Thanks everyone on this one.