Sony DMX-R100 & Pro Tools?

meerkat209

2015-05-10 18:16:40

Hi, Im new to MT and am hoping someone can give me a little help on getting started with setting up the DMX-R100 with PT12 as a control surface. Maybe someone already has a preset. I can see the incoming midi light go on when running MT and moving faders on the board. What do I do from there?

Thanks

DvlsAdvct

2015-05-11 14:54:42

When starting with MT it's a good idea to put together a plan for what you want it to do, and then we can build from there.

Since MT is receiving MIDI from your device, you want to start creating translators which incoming messages from your controller, and outgoing actions to your software.

Let us know your plan and we can start helping you build it.

J

meerkat209

2015-05-11 17:29:31

Hey thanks J.

My goal is to control as many functions in PT as I can with the R100. I'm assuming I have to get PT to see it as HUI in the peripherals. So far the only functions on the board that MT receives are fader and pan movements and play, stop, rewind and forward.

So my plan would be to get those translated in MT

DvlsAdvct

2015-05-14 01:36:56

Hi meerkat209

So, the DMX-R100 should just work via HUI with ProTools natively. You shouldn't need to map anything. Page 37 of this manual should give you the whole walkthrough.

Let me know if that helps
Jared

meerkat209

2015-05-14 21:34:15

Hi Jared,

As I understand it the only functions that work between the R100 and PT are play and stop and thats through MTC. The manual doesnt make any mention of HUI.

DvlsAdvct

2015-05-14 22:53:06

From what I can see in the manual, starting in Chapter 2, you can assign the DMX-R100 to control devices like Pro-Tools using SMPTE time code via machine control, and it will give you more control than just transport. You can also put it into MIDI Machine Control (MMC) mode. I would also consult Pro-Tools support to be sure, before we go through the very arduous process of creating these kinds of mappings. If you are 100% sure that you need MIDI Translator, however, I will be more than happy to assist you in setting it up.