Control Pro Tools Aux Sends with Bome?

jaymelewis

2015-03-29 08:02:55

So here's what I want to do; I own a recording studio and I'd love to hand the incoming musicians a tablet and say, "here, control your headphone mix with this." We do this all the time with FOH consoles when playing live. In fact, almost every digital console today comes standard with this type of feature. I'd like to do it from within a Pro Tools session, allowing them to control their headphone mixes via the Pro Tools aux sends A-E.

I've been searching the web for months looking for an app that does this, and none exist. Cubase has something close built in, but then I'd have to buy a new recording platform. So, I figured I would try to create my own. I'm a recording engineer and musician, not a software programmer. I'm somewhat competent in basic AHK stuff, and I use Bome to control Pro Presenter lyrics, videos and magic MagicQ lights with Ableton Live, but I'm by no means an app programmer.

Ideally, I think it would work like this - in theory I would design a TouchOSC app for Android (I could buy 5 of them for the price of 1 iPad) that would connect the Bome via wifi and export HUI data to Pro Tools that would ONLY allow the altering of a particular Aux mix. That's the current problem with most of the DAW control apps, there's too much control for the players to screw up, and I can't use multiple devices for multiple players.

It seems logical to me because I know that TouchOSC can send MIDI data to a computer and Bome can translate that to HUI for PT to read, but I'm not skilled enough to make this happen yet. Can anyone point me in the right direction to start with, perhaps someone has done this before or know a good tutorial I can look at in order to make this happen?

So many thanks in advance, I look forward to your replies!

DvlsAdvct

2015-03-30 15:24:21

If you can put together the required messages, both MIDI from the tablet and HUI from Pro-Tools I can throw together a quick translator to show you how they communicate. Once you see the translation it all starts making sense.

jaymelewis

2015-03-30 18:51:27

DvlsAdvct wrote:If you can put together the required messages, both MIDI from the tablet and HUI from Pro-Tools I can throw together a quick translator to show you how they communicate. Once you see the translation it all starts making sense.
Thank you! That'd be awesome! I'll try to get those messages figured out as soon as I can. The TouchOSC ones will be easy because I know I'll have to program them myself. But the HUI ones I fear will be more difficult. My only thought was to try and plug in a Mackie Controller and try to capture the specific signal responsible for Aux Sends with Bome's capture MIDI feature. Do you think that'll work? Thank you so much for your time!

DvlsAdvct

2015-03-30 22:01:19

Yeah, I think that'll work. I'm pretty sure there are resources online as well (referenced on this forum) with the different HUI messages.

jaymelewis

2015-03-31 09:13:20

DvlsAdvct wrote:Yeah, I think that'll work. I'm pretty sure there are resources online as well (referenced on this forum) with the different HUI messages.
Ok, so here's what I've got; I used a HUI device (that works with Pro Tools) to pull off these MIDI messages with the Capture MIDI function in Bome's:

Channel 1's volume fader on the HUI device is B0 pp 00

If I push these buttons, in this order (on the HUI device) and then adjust the Channel 1 fader again, then the Aux Send fader 1 in Pro Tools moves instead of the Channel 1 volume fader:
1) B0 2F 07 (This one selects Aux Send 1 itself, instead of, say, Aux 2 or 3)
2) B0 2F 03 (This one flips the fader to control the aux's volume instead of the main channel's volume)

I've included screenshot attachments of these three MIDI messages. I'm not ready to build the TouchOSC app yet, but I have plenty of other MIDI devices here in my studio that I can try to map these controls to. Could you help me output these messages to say a MIDI keyboard's fader or something? I have a Novation ReMote SL61 that has faders (it is not a HUI device), and I used the same capture MIDI function to find that it's 1st fader send the MIDI message B1 49 pp

I'm not sure where to go from here. Again, thank you so very much. I truly appreciate the help!!!
Attachments
Flip Fader to Aux.PNG
Flip Fader to Aux.PNG (34.95 KiB) Viewed 5544 times
Ch 1 HUI Fader.PNG
Ch 1 HUI Fader.PNG (35.09 KiB) Viewed 5544 times
Aux 1 Select.PNG
Aux 1 Select.PNG (33.32 KiB) Viewed 5544 times