Allen & Heath QU-16 with Sonar x3 (Windows)

Rufrag

2015-02-03 13:24:30

I bought the Allen & Heath QU-16, and I want to use it as a DAW controller in Sonar x3. Because of my "great" research skills I found out just after connecting it to my computer that there is no support (and neither will be) to use this unit as a DAW controller in Windows. First of, I`m not a newbie... I`m one step previous to that! Like a newbie newbie or something.

So here`s my question: How do I find the presets on A&H site, what kind of file is it and how do I load it into Bomes? Do I have to manually type in all of the codes?!

I`m truly sorry for my ignorance, but I really need help...

Lunatech

2015-04-26 13:10:21

Hello,

To your question about presets from A&H ... There are none at this time for the QU series. I was told that they are being worked on. To your second point, It may be possible to "build" your controller from scratch since the QU 16 sends midi data via USB and Sonar is mdi compliant. I found this response on the Sonar boards:

"There are just 2 warnings:
It only records and plays back at 48khz 24Bit. No problem for new projects, but if you have lots of old projects with different sample rates these need labourious conversion if you want to ovoverdub them using the qu mixer. Sonar is great for accomodating files with different bit depths, and its sample rate conversion is superb, but sonar project sample rate can't be changed: the projects have to be reconstructed. This is quite a big drawback for me, so the motu is still in service for work on older projects.
The other warning is about using the qu as a control surface for sonar:it seems like you will have to build it from scratch "

So there is hope.. mixed in with some time and effort. IHTH

Rufrag

2015-04-28 08:22:19

Thank you very much for your reply. I have very limited knowledge when it comes to programming midi. I tried the "act controller", programming with midi learn, but the midi is not bidirectional. So I can control some of the parameters in my DAW from the mixer, but the changes I apply directly in my DAW with my mouse do not show on my QU-16. I really hope someone if not Allen & Heath makes this possible soon.

Lunatech

2015-04-28 14:14:29

I would also try to use Sonars "Generic Surface" in combination with ACT. This is how I got the Zed R16 to work pretty well with Sonar. Also there is a user name AzSlow3 in the Cakewalk forums that has created a utility for Sonar that goes really deep with midi controllers. He is actually building templates to showcase what it can do. Do a search on the Forum for that user name and see if he can take the QU to another level. You can also do a search on this subject (You can integrate your Control Surface with SONAR as deep as you want!) IHTH

Rufrag

2015-04-28 20:13:09

This is starting to get interesting! I looked him up at the Cakewalk forum, and it seems like he`s on to something! I will read a bit more before I try his plug-in... This is the best clue I`ve gotten so far :)

Lunatech

2015-04-28 20:22:57

Cool!

Users helping Users.. Hey this music thing has us sounding like we are in rehab.. :D

Rufrag

2015-04-28 20:29:13

Haha! You're right! Sometimes it even feels like rehab!

Lunatech

2015-05-16 21:32:20

Hi Rufrag,

Azslow3 are testing a solution for Windows. Would like to invite you to assist if possible.

Rufrag

2015-05-16 21:42:59

How can I assist?

Lunatech

2015-05-16 22:11:27

Hi,

Go to Azslow3.com.. sign up. He has discussion going in Topic "QU 24 Preset".. The first post has details on how to assist. Thanks.

Rufrag

2015-05-16 22:54:06

I will do that :) Thanks!

Rufrag

2015-05-23 14:24:16

This is great! Got this working with the qu-24 preset. I just need to figure out how to delete the 8 channels that doesnt exist on my qu-16 and I most likely have a fully functional daw controller! bidirectional!

Lunatech

2015-05-23 16:38:39

Rufrag wrote:This is great! Got this working with the qu-24 preset. I just need to figure out how to delete the 8 channels that doesnt exist on my qu-16 and I most likely have a fully functional daw controller! bidirectional!
Great news... I have been pretty pleased with it also.. Track and bus control. Record arm and all the led indicators.. It is pretty cool!!

Rufrag

2015-05-23 16:50:42

Do you know how to switch fader bank? And do you know how I can delete the 8 channels preogrammed in the preset that doesn`t exist in my qu-16?

Lunatech

2015-05-23 17:25:30

Rufrag wrote:Do you know how to switch fader bank? And do you know how I can delete the 8 channels preogrammed in the preset that doesn`t exist in my qu-16?
Hello,

Here is what I have found: IHTH

1. Go to this page for the latest release 5/20:
http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,204.0.html

2. How to install and overview of functions (change to control busses included)
• Soft key with daw bank up/down (see QU documentation) needs to be configured
How to use it:
• Install AZ Controller plug-in first (download the latest released in the News section version and run it).
• Configure QU24 MIDI Input/Output in SONAR as described in its documentation.
• Insert AZ Controller in the "Control Surfaces" section of SONAR preferences and attach ZED MIDI Input/Output to it. It is good idea to detach it from other plug-ins, in case you have already used it with sonar.
• Open AZ Controller configuration dialog
• Switch to the "Options" Tab and in the "Tweak current configuration..." drop box select "QU24".
• Press "Generate preset"
• In the preset name box (on top of the window) type "QU24" and press "Save" button. Select just saved preset to reload it (that should setup WAI correctly)

What is working:
• BankDown turns on and of "Shift" mode. BankUp turns on and of "Alt" mode. The mode is indication inside "Control Surface" Module on control bar
• 20 first channels control tracks. In "Shift" mode Mute1/Mute2 move Track bank left/right by current number of controlled tracks (20/24)
• 4 last channels control tracks or buses. Mute3 in "Shift" or "Alt" modes switch the mode. In "Alt" mode Mute1/Mute2 move Bus bank left/right (if "Shift" and "Alt" modes are activated, both tracks and buses are shifter simultaneously)
• Each channel control: Volume (Fader), Mute (Mute), Solo(Solo), Record Arm (Select in "Shift" mode) of the corresponding strip. Select button in not "Shift" modes focus the strip in Sonar. LEDs indicate corresponding parameter state
• Transport buttons alone control Sonar transport. In "Shift" mode FF/RW move current time to Loop Out/In, Stop toggles Loop. In "Alt" mode FF/RW move current time to Next/Previous Marker, Stop inserts Marker.

3. Discussion link on how to delete unused hardware/controllers:
http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,182.0.html

Rufrag

2015-05-23 18:03:09

Got it. Now I`ve only need to remove those eight tracks from the preset that I dont have on my unit. Whit this preset I`m unable to control the last eight faders including the bus tracks. The tracks 20-24 are propably programmed to work as Bus tracks, so I guess I have to delete Eight tracks before them, and rename the last four tracks... I posted a question at azslow.com but I`m not sure if anybody understand what I`m asking...

Rufrag

2015-05-24 14:31:21

So now I`ve deleted and removed track 17 - 24 from the AZ controller setup, but in Sonar the coloured field still indicates that I control 24 tracks, and I can`t control my bus still..