midi CC's to note messages

Geco_guy

2015-01-09 00:57:00

Hi all, First time posting here.

I'm sure this is a pretty common question, but I can't find an answer to it, here or anywhere.

Here's my situation - I've just gotten a Leap Motion controller, and I am running it with the Geco software (yeah, my original name, heh).

It only sends CC's though, and I am trying to use Bome to translate the CC's into note messages. But, I have no idea what a note message writes down as! I've copy/pasted this string "93 45 4F", which Bome tells me is "Note on #4, A4, vel79" I thought that sounded close enough to a MIDI note, but I'm not getting any output from my soft synth.

I can only assume the soft synth is receiving Bome's messages, too. I do see the lights lighting up at the botton, so that's good. I've got the "active" box checked, and I've unchecked the "swallow incoming MIDI message".

That's about all I can think to say. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

DvlsAdvct

2015-01-09 02:16:00

Can you write out your translator? Use the Code tag at the top of the forum and just provide the information you put in like follows:

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Name
Incoming message: 
Rules: (if any)
Outgoing Message: 
So I can figure out what you're putting in. :)

Geco_guy

2015-01-09 07:24:57

This is what I have entered.

Code: Select all

Translator 1: New Translator
Incoming message: B0 0E pp
Rules: (no rules entered)
Outgoing Message: 93 45 4F
I have, apparently, successfully connected the MIDI signal from Geco (which uses a virtual MIDI cable, I'm using LoopBe) to Bome. The routing setup I have configured is from LoopBe to my Roland Quad Capture, an external USB MIDI/audio input/output processor. It is the only soundcard I have active on my PC. I am testing MIDI responses with NI's Massive.

The "incoming message" was MIDI-captured from activity sent by the Geco app. The "outgoing message" was something I copy/pasted from a webpage on hex-encoded MIDI note signals (I am struggling with finding useful info about this aspect of the message process).

I also tried to experiment and "capture midi" from another source, a Korg padKontrol, but while the padKontrol was triggering an audio MIDI response from my soft synth, Bome showed no activity in the window.

So, like I said in my earleir post, when I trigger Geco, I can see "MIDI in/router out" activity in the BOME window, but Massive doesn't make any sound from that activity. As I also said, I am unsure what, if any, information I am sending to Massive, and if it would even be useful data if it was in fact arriving.

Thanks again for your help. I really want to make this work.

DvlsAdvct

2015-01-09 15:09:22

What routing are you using to get your signal from MT to Massive? What are your default ports?

Geco_guy

2015-01-09 16:55:01

DvlsAdvct wrote:What routing are you using to get your signal from MT to Massive? What are your default ports?
Well, I *did* have Bome routing the Geco's LoopBe virtual MIDI cable, to my Roland Quad Capture.

But, I just experimented and switched Geco to output on the Bome MDI out, and then switched Bome's default router to Bome -> Quad Capture, and wala! That did it. I can officially trigger a MIDI note with Geco! So thanks for prodding me in the right direction.

Now, I need to make some order out of this chaos! So - can you point me in the direction of the tools I'll need to manually set up specific MIDI notes as outputs (until I figure out how to get capture MIDI to see the rest of my controllers).

Also, the note I have set to "outgoing" just keeps triggering forever, so I need to learn how to stop a note. I guess that's something in the rules?

And finally - does this mean that Bome will have to be my virtual MIDI cable out for the Geco all the time? In other words, even when I want to do things with Geco that it does by default, i.e., send MIDI CC's, I will have to configure a Bome preset even for those? It looks like I'm going to have to be very committed to mastering Bome, eh?
Attachments
MIDI router.png
MIDI router.png (58.09 KiB) Viewed 3692 times