Gate to toggle - possible without using global variables?

TomViolenz

2014-12-16 16:13:55

Hey guys,
haven't posted for a while, but have been using Bomes MT very successfully all that time 8)

Now I have a new controller and that is giving me a few headaches in using it.

The APC Mini is a 8x8 button grid which also has 9 faders.
But Akai provides no Midi editor or anything with it, which means I'm stuck with the original Midi layout, which quite frankly sucks :x

Each Button sends a note on message with velocity 127 when pressed and a note off message with velocity 127 when released. The problem is further that neither of these values changes the lighting of that button. Only note on values with velocities 0 to 06 do that. Which means I can assign them in Ableton to a toggle value, but the lights don't indicate any change. Which is obviously quite useless.

So now to my question: I can obviously change all that with Bomes MT, but all the solutions I come up with use at least one Global variable per pad, because because of that strange "gate" set-up, I need to count how many times a button has been pressed in order to send back the correct lighting velocity. (Since the incoming note doesn't change between presses)

Since this device has in total 80 buttons that would be 80 global variables. Which I don't have left anymore since all my other programming used up most of these.

So the question is: can anyone think of a way to do this without using global variables (maybe it's something common and long solved?)
Or alternatively, how can I run two independent projects at the same time (assuming that each can have the full set of global variables).
I heard that you can load your bmtp files in MT Player. Would this be a possibility? And can you have several instances of MT Player open? Because I already use it with the PXT Live Plus script for my Push, which I obviously don't want to stop using.

Thanks for all your help :D8)

DvlsAdvct

2014-12-17 04:55:27

Wow... that MIDI spec is... is just precious.

You should be able to load multiple instances of MT Pro, just make sure you aren't crossing your virtual MIDI ports, to avoid any complications. Give it a shot and make sure it works, so you can have two different projects working listening to two different controllers.

Jared

TomViolenz

2014-12-17 12:15:25

DvlsAdvct wrote:Wow... that MIDI spec is... is just precious.
Yeah, I don't think they could have made it worse if they had tried :x

You should be able to load multiple instances of MT Pro, just make sure you aren't crossing your virtual MIDI ports, to avoid any complications. Give it a shot and make sure it works, so you can have two different projects working listening to two different controllers.

Jared
I didn't know that 8)

But sorry for the possibly dumb question. How?!
Double clicking on the program icon doesn't open another instance, it just brings the current one to the front.

florian

2014-12-17 13:15:43

Hi Tom,
chiming in... if you're on OS X, copy and paste the "Bome's Midi Translator Pro" app in the Applications folder, so that you have two of them, then rename as you want, e.g. "Bome's MT for Push". Now you should be able to start both apps separately. They will also use their own settings.
Florian

TomViolenz

2014-12-17 13:34:46

Awesome, that worked! Thanks 8)

Regarding the virtual ports not overlapping: is giving them different aliases enough to avoid that?

florian

2014-12-17 14:37:32

Hi Tom,

the virtual ports apply to all running instances of MIDI Translator, so as DvlsAdvct wrote, only use a given virtual port in only one instance of MT. A port alias does not help. I seem to remember that on OS X we have added provisions that multiple instances would never use the same virtual ports (I cannot try this right now).

Within MT, the virtual ports are named "Bome's Midi Translator Virtual Out X". So as long as you don't use the same X in different instances, you're fine.

Thanks,
Florian