Keystroke emulation problem in Pro Tools 10

303Dan

2014-12-02 01:07:31

Hello,

I'm trying to create some translators to trigger certain key command shortcuts in Pro Tools.

Anything I create that does NOT include the "Alt" and "Start" or "Windows" key, works fine.

When I create a translator that outputs what is supposed to be a key down event with Alt or Start, then some other key, then a key up even for that Alt or Start, it doesn't work. The Midi Translator Log is showing the output as intended.

I notice when I'm in Pro Tools that when I trigger the translator containing "Alt", via MIDI, the focus seems to jump from the Edit Window up to the Main Window and focuses on the menu system. When I press the Alt key on my keyboard when I'm in Pro Tools, that does not happen. The menus do not get focus.

Any ideas?

Joe Kataldo

2014-12-05 20:38:24

Hi there, I have a strange problem with MIDI translator and Pro Tools 10 on Windows 7

Any keystroke emulation that includes ctrl, Alt or the windows key plus something else doesn't get recognized by pro tools. For example if I program an outgoing message of Alt+T Pro tools only receives the letter T

If I program a keystroke emulation of just Alt it gets recognized. It's almost if the short cut is transmitted to pro tools as one key after another instead of all keys pressed together.

Any idea what could fix it? Trashed preferences, re-installed both pro tools and MIDI translator, with or without key focus activated, no difference.

Sucks because I bought MIDI translator after reading a review of protools and how MIDI translator can speed up any task.

Thanks,

Joe.

Joe Kataldo

2014-12-05 23:14:31

I also tried delaying the T of Alt+T no luck. I'm on PT 10.3.9

florian

2014-12-09 00:48:30

Hi, sorry for the late reply. This is a bit more effort to reproduce (I haven't had Pro Tools installed yet). Is this Pro Tools 10 on Windows or on OS X?

Thanks,
Florian

Joe Kataldo

2014-12-10 08:02:14

Looks similar to my problem too, I'm on Win 7 and PT 10. Perhaps we should combine the two posts :)

florian

2014-12-10 13:14:29

Hi, I managed to merged the topics :) I'll install PT 10 on Windows and see if I can reproduce this issue.

Joe Kataldo

2014-12-18 19:08:44

Same problem with Pro Tools 11 wondering if it could be a windows 7 sp1 64bit problem

Joe Kataldo

2014-12-18 19:48:26

I also tested on separate computer, PT11 win7 64bit same problem, single keystroke like just return, or a letter works, combinations with ctrl and or alt, shift etc don't work.

Joe Kataldo

2014-12-19 09:28:55

Hi Florian, I did some progress in finding the problem and I want to share it with you, hopefully it will help to fix this issue. I was able to have Ctrl+O Ctrl+Shit+n and the windows key too to work by programming it this way:

MIDI 91 02 7F Key Down windows (command in mac)
MIDI 91 02 7F Key Down Shift
MIDI 91 02 7F Key Down Tab
MIDI 91 02 00 Key Up windows (command in mac)
MIDI 91 02 00 Key Up Shift
MIDI 91 02 00 Key Up Tab

This is a very slow approach it would be nice if it worked as a keystroke combination, but better then nothing.

So PT 10 and 11 do receive the modifiers, but perhaps something in the timing might be wrong when using Keystroke combinations?

Alt still doesn't work no matter how I try to program it :x

Hope it helps,

Joe.

Joe Kataldo

2014-12-19 09:54:51

ok, after millions of tests :shock: I have found the problem. No matter how you program it, pro tools always receive a press down and release of Alt. I have programmed on Lemur accustom button in switch mode that is supposed to keep the key pressed until you press again sending a midi message 7F wich for what I understand is key down, but pro tools still responds like if you released Alt, activating the text menus (file, edit clip etc.)
Any combination results in alt press release plus whatever keys follows, and obviously doesn't work. So I don't know if that's the way protools interprets it or MT sending it that way, but can you suggest any workaround?

DvlsAdvct

2014-12-19 14:51:09

Does Pro-Tools allow you to build your own key combinations?

Joe Kataldo

2014-12-19 15:26:52

No, I would have re-mapped otherwise :(

DvlsAdvct

2014-12-19 18:48:22

I'll follow up with Florian to see if he had any luck, but if Pro-Tools is reacting that way then I'm really not sure.

Joe Kataldo

2014-12-19 19:30:03

They must have changed something in the latest updates?

florian

2014-12-20 14:51:59

Hi, no update here from my side yet (awfully busy with NAMM preparations!). It is strange that ALT DOWN will always be received as DOWN+UP. It's easy to verify with other problems that MT does not do that.

The strange thing is that sending a sequence or single DOWN+UP keys is exactly the same, from what MT executes internally. Only the timing is different... For a future version, we'll include an option for keystroke sequences to send them key by key.

Regards,
Florian

Joe Kataldo

2015-01-09 07:45:23

So I found the problem. I have programmed Lemur to send a keyout of Alt+T and used windows 7 on-screen keyboard. Pro tools interprets the Virtual Keyboard input 0x12 differently from the actual keyboard. I'm going to post on Avid forum. :evil:

florian

2015-01-11 00:24:59

excellent! please keep us posted.

Joe Kataldo

2015-02-01 05:43:43

I tried every possible solution, I'm now using AutoHotKey and for the shortcuts that include alt I use a gaming mouse that can record macro.

RedKrovvy

2015-03-11 23:11:39

I think I've found a solution to this issue. My system is Windows 7. Not sure if problem was already solved, but perhaps this will help in some way.

I've been trying to use photoshop hotkeys with bome, where I press down a MIDI button mapped to a modifier key and then press down on a keyboard key to execute the photoshop hotkey. I've successfully achieved this with Ctrl+Z or the undo command in Photoshop.

1. In project properties > MIDI Router, route your MIDI device to 'Microsoft MIDI Mapper'. I was previously using my MIDI out as 'Bome's Midi Translator 1 Virtual Out' and this resulted in test failure.

2. Set up two translators. For the first one, have the incoming trigger be the MIDI button's button-down code and have the outgoing action be 'Key Down: Ctrl'. For the second one, have the incoming trigger be the MIDI button's button-up code and have the outgoing action be 'Key Up: Ctrl'

3. Press down on the MIDI button. Press the key to finish hotkey sequence. See hotkey action executed on screen. Lift up on MIDI button.