Incoming Keystroke - a question of focus...

kithara

2014-11-04 05:42:19

Greetings,

I'm new to the forum and evaluating MT. I've had some success within the 20 minute save window as I've evaluated. I have a question about incoming keystrokes.

Here's what I'm trying to do. I am thinking of a use case where I'm traveling light with my laptop but want to trigger clips from the latptop keyboard. Of course I can use Ableton key mappings, but I'm thinking of something trickier, like defining a shift key to bank a set of computer keyboard keys to the session view clip slots so I can get more coverage.

I assume that if I have the focus on MT this would work, but I would like the focus to stay with Ableton. If I have to have MT as the app with focus, I would not be able to see the session/arrangement view. On the road travelling light I won't have my twin 22 inch monitors.

So, with the Ableton as the foreground application, I would like to issue keystrokes that MT would pick up as incoming Keystrokes. I would then convert them to MIDI action messages that would become 'instant mappings' in a MIDI remote script I would like to author in Python.

Is this possible?

Thanks
Kithara

DvlsAdvct

2014-11-05 05:38:53

Hi Kithara

So, here's the problem. MT can receive keystrokes while it isn't in focus, but it does't "absorb" the keystrokes, so other applications will listen as well. So, if Ableton is in the foreground and receives a keystroke it will respond, but so will MT. So, if you can force Ableton to not respond to the keyboard then you'd be okay.

Does that make sense?
Jared