Keystrokes & Cubase

sevaels

2014-10-27 18:54:31

Hey Guys,

Trying a basic Ctrl + Z combo that seems to work in the simple text editor. The problem is Cubase doesn't seem to get the modifier, only the Z. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

DvlsAdvct

2014-10-27 19:06:50

Just to be sure, Ctrl + Z works regularly in Cubase, correct?

sevaels

2014-10-27 19:11:13

Yes, I did double check :D . It seems that any key modifier - alt, ctrl etc. is being ignored. The next key is all that it reads. So for instance 'H' goes through and causes a zoom when it's supposed to be Ctrl + H.

DvlsAdvct

2014-10-27 19:15:38

Can you do me a favor and try to break this out into two translators for me? It should look like:

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Ctrl
Incoming message: 90 30 7F
Outgoing Message: Key Press - Ctrl

Translator 2: Z
Incoming message: 90 30 7F
Outgoing Message: Key Sequence - Z 5ms delay

Translator 3: Ctrl Off
Incoming Message: 90 30 00
Outgoing Message: Key Release - Ctrl
That make sense?
J

sevaels

2014-10-27 19:30:33

Hey,

OK, tried this and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.

All translators are assigned to the same midi command

1 is a key press event for Ctrl
2 is a key press event for Z delayed 5ms
3 is a key up event for ctrl

I also tried:

1 is a key down event for Ctrl
2 is a key press event for Z delayed 5ms
3 is a key up event for ctrl

Just in case that's is what you meant. All of them only produce the Z - they also only produce it in the text edit. I must be doing something wrong.

Thank you so much for the help by the way!

sevaels

2014-10-27 19:31:57

Whoa! Got it to work by delaying the last Key Up Ctrl by 10ms :D

So it goes like this:

MIDI 80 00 00 Key down: Ctrl

MIDI 80 00 00 Keystroke: Z, delay:5milliseconds

MIDI 80 00 00 Key up: Ctrl, delay:10milliseconds

This must be a DirectInput issue. It would be great to have a little checkbox next to keystrokes to add a delay like this.

makerprofaze

2014-11-11 00:28:34

I hope I'm not chiming in too late, but I suggest you use (learn) the Generic Remote section in Cubase as you will have access to 97% of the keystroke commands, simply triggered with MIDI. You can even create macros built with multiple commands ie 'copy;paste to new track;open editor;select all....' triggered from a single MIDI command. It's more to lean, but once you understand it, you can link nearly everything without having to worry about keystroke delays/timing, ect. Another immense benefit is that the MIDI will arrive and execute in Cubase without it needing to be active on the screen, in case you ever need to use multiple programs simultaneously.

tannoy

2014-12-01 08:14:59

Hi there. Well, it seems that it's a Cubase problem, Steinberg must have changed something in the way it deals with keyboard inputs. I've been using MT with Cubase and an SAC 2.2 controller and it worked like a charm - until I switched to Cubase 4.

Since then, only MT generated keystrokes which don't include modifyer buttons do work. Keystrokes including modifyers lead to no or to unexpected results.

That is a real bummer, cause for me it makes MT pretty much useless. The way seveals deals with it might be a way to work around that issue - but I have tons of key-commands like (shift)+(Alt)+(Ctrl)+X for example which result in a mess of single translators if I'd try to deal with it like he did. Besides, when I tried it, MT refused to let me type in a delay from the 4th translator entry upwards for one common MIDI command.

DvlsAdvct

2014-12-01 16:43:56

If you want to combine multiple keystrokes all with their own delays it's best to use timers which repeat at a specified amount of times (Ctrl + Alt + Shift + x would be 4 repetitions) and put the necessary delays in those individual translators so things trigger when you need.

Does that make sense? I can give you a quick breakdown.

tannoy

2014-12-02 07:53:10

Yes, that makes sense, understood.

Thx, David.

Edit: No idea why I think your name is David, it's probably too early in the morning for me. If your name is not David: Thx, DvlsAdvct. :wink:

DvlsAdvct

2014-12-02 15:08:19

hah it's Jared :)

Let us know if you run in to any problems.
Jared