Need help integrating BMT and Torq 2.0.3 (OS X)

cesarvog

2014-10-24 16:16:05

Good Morning everyone,

This is my first post here, so please forgive me if this has already been answered before, as I searched and found nothing.

I just got myself a new Numark NS7II. Even though it works just fine with Serato DJ, I feel that I have been spoiled by using Torq for so many years with my previous controller, the M-Audio Xponent. I don't want to start an argument about which software is best, I just want to try using my new controller with the old software, because I feel most comfortable with it.

I've already done substantial work identifying MIDI messages sent over MIDI channels to BMT when each and every control (wheel, knob, fader, toggle btn, etc) is moved, in each controller surface. I then created an Excel spreadsheet with the collected information.

So now, if I somehow understood all this MIDI stuff correctly, I figured that, for example, when I press (and release) the Play/Pause button on the Xponent, it sends "90 24 40" (Note On) and "80 24 40" (Note Off), while when I do the same thing on my NS7II, it sends "91 34 7F" for Note On and "81 34 7F" for Note Off.

To validate my understanding of how to use BMT in order to try and fool Torq into thinking I'm still using the XPonent, when in fact I'm using the NS7II, I thought I had to do the following:

1) In BMT: create a translator that would send 90 24 40 and 80 24 40 out every time 91 34 7F and 81 34 7F was received from the NS7II ;
2) Leave BMT running in the background;
3) In Torq 2.0.3, modify the MIDI settings by setting the NS7II as "Inactive", and Bome's Midi Translator Virtual Port 1 as "Active" and as default controller for MIDI IN and MIDI OUT.

The problem is, even though I did set everything as above, Torq does not seem to want to do anything when I press and release the Play/Pause button on my NS7II...

So, can some good soul out there, pleeeease, advise if I am missing anything?

Thanks
Cesar / Brazil

cesarvog

2014-10-24 22:11:08

Never mind, I figured it out. It was a missing tick in the Swallow checkbox.

DvlsAdvct

2014-10-25 19:42:50

Just as a side-note, awesome to see someone using Torq :)

cesarvog

2014-10-26 15:20:29

It's a shame Torq was purchased by InMusic and then discontinued. It was years ahead of the competition when launched, and it still is, in many aspects. I hope InMusic realizes the treasure it has in it's hands, and stop paying licenses to third parties in order to use their software.

Now that my proof of concept worked, I hope I somehow find out how to map all controls without having to build two translations for each control (one each for Note On/Note Off). I just bought MT Pro and, obviously, haven't mastered it yet. Because of this, I haven't made my mind up about the best strategy to use.

DvlsAdvct

2014-10-27 16:38:04

You shouldn't need to. If the press sends a 90 xx 7F and the release sends a 90 xx 00 then you should be okay. The xx would be replaced with whatever the middle MIDI byte is. If it sends 90 xx 7F when pressed and 80 xx 00 when released then you would need to do some variable work but it's doable. :)

Jared

cesarvog

2014-10-27 16:53:42

DvlsAdvct wrote:You shouldn't need to. If the press sends a 90 xx 7F and the release sends a 90 xx 00 then you should be okay. The xx would be replaced with whatever the middle MIDI byte is. If it sends 90 xx 7F when pressed and 80 xx 00 when released then you would need to do some variable work but it's doable. :)

Jared
Hi Jared,

Thanks for your reply. Your post was very helpful and really cleared things out a bit. It's very good to learn that MT supports the use of variables that would allow me to write more generic translations and/or rules.

Up to the point I'm currently at on my research, I found out that most of the toggle controls indeed send 9x xx 7F/8x xx 00 note on/note off commands. It's good to know that I won't have to write specific translators/rules for each control, but only generic parametrised translators/rules. That should save a lot of work!

I'm still filling out/cleaning/improving the spreadsheet I mentioned in the OC, as I noticed that some faders/knobs and the wheels send both (Fine) and (Coarse) messages with velocities varying from 00 to 7F. I don't know what to do with the "fine" info, because the Xponent only seem to send "coarse" messages on variable controls.

Anyway, I just want to make sure I have all the necessary data before I move on to the translation phase in MT.

It's very good to know that you and other will be willing to help, as I don't know if I'm up to the task at hand. :?

DvlsAdvct

2014-10-27 17:18:09

It's why we're here. I try and keep all of the questions answered, and if I can't I pass it up to the boss man.

Feel free to ask whatever questions you have and I'll try and get them answered. :)