One knob, two directions?

defyurself

2014-10-13 06:36:10

Hey,

I want to program my knobs to rotate vertically up/down or horizontally left/right according to the CW or CCW direction of turning.

I tried several tutorials I found on the forum, but got very lost since right now I only know how to program a single keystroke to a knob at any velocity. This means I can have one knob rotate in any direction and go up, and a second do the same but go down.

Is there a way for me to play with the velocity such that I can accomplish this type of mapping? Ideally, I would be able to recreate something to the effect of what the Ableton Push does in the software with enough programming and use of this technique within that via a generic controller like my BCF2000, if I'd attempt such a thing down the line.

Also, can I have a knob control only the navigation within a specific browser?

So if I toggle one knob, it will let me browse through Ableton's internal library, another, a different internal library (or a button would let me switch libraries and still use that single knob), and then another knob would control the browser navigation in NI Massive, so that way I can have each rotary push encoder allowing me to navigate through multiple soundbanks without ever having to reach for the keyboard/mouse.

I'll appreciate anything you've got!

defyurself

2014-11-30 19:21:31

Le bump? :?

DvlsAdvct

2014-11-30 20:46:16

There's a LOT wrapped up in what you're asking.

Does Ableton allow you, using keystrokes, to browse or select different libraries?

Browsing a VST is completely reliant, once again, on the commands available in the VST. Can you map browsing via MIDI?

Jared

defyurself

2014-12-03 06:28:57

DvlsAdvct wrote:There's a LOT wrapped up in what you're asking.

Does Ableton allow you, using keystrokes, to browse or select different libraries?

Browsing a VST is completely reliant, once again, on the commands available in the VST. Can you map browsing via MIDI?

Jared
Simple keystrokes, no- it always requires being able to call up the plugins or libraries by navigating to them using the mouse/clicking.

So I suppose it's not possible to, or if it is it's extremely difficult to, control multiple libraries via Bome commands.

It's not possible to map browsing via MIDI, which is why Bome is so useful, since even within Ableton it requires neurotically pressing up and down keys to preview and try out sounds or virtual instruments.

So if none of that is within question, at least to a n00b like me, then is it at least possible to map directional changes into a rotary encoder's function? That way up/down and left/right can be managed within one encoder each allowing for more combinations of functionality between them and other encoders nearby.

DvlsAdvct

2014-12-03 13:55:47

I don't think there's any way to control multiple libraries in Ableton, with one exception. You can use mouse commands to select the location of the library and then browse up and down using the encoder. That might give you exactly what you want from within Ableton.

As far as one encoder sending four messages, that's definitely possible. How do you want to change the message it sends? What would your "shift" function be?