Convert Absolute midi cc messages into Relative ones

ariajazz

2014-10-11 01:33:31

I have my setup build into Sensomusic Usine and many patches contain knobs for volume, tone, and other parameters. I often have to adjust some of these settings in a live situation for which I pretend to use a KORG Nanocontrol 2 controller. The probrem is that it only sends absolute midi messages 0-127 and the knobs on my settings are already set for an specific value so moving a knob on the korg controller will change te value of the software knob abruptly, this in not good in a live situation. The question is: Is there any way to convert this absolute cc messages into relative ones so they can behave like a rotary endless knob and have them increase or decrease the values of the software knobs in small amounts no matter where the position of the Korg's knob is?

Thanks in advance for any clue

ariajazz

2014-10-12 17:03:00

No tips for doing this?

DvlsAdvct

2014-10-12 20:40:59

Hi ariajazz

Sorry for the delay, but this is definitely doable. Before we go through it, is there a button you can use to stop the absolute knob from sending any data? This way, if you need to make more drastic changes you can keep turning the knob left, by holding down the button and resetting back to the beginning. Does that make sense?

Jared

ariajazz

2014-10-12 23:48:40

I don't get the idea, could you please be more specific about? which knob are you referring to, controller's or software?

DvlsAdvct

2014-10-12 23:59:49

The controller. Here's what I mean

You have a virtual knob at 65
Your physical knob is at 30
You want to turn your Virtual Knob down to 20
You only have 30 steps on your physical knob
If you turn your physical knob to the left the 30 steps you still have another 15 to go

I'm asking if there is a button on your controller you can use as a Shift button. When it is held down you can reposition the physical knob to continue turning it (in this example) left.

ariajazz

2014-10-13 01:46:50

Well not at all KORG Nanokontrol 2 is very simple and its knobs and faders only send absolute (0-127) cc messages. What I'm trying to achieve is to "translate" that absolute cc messages into relative and a way to get the virtual knob ignores the controller knob position . I mean, the virtual knob increases and decreases by right and left movements of the controller but keeping its own position not the controller's one. That's what I believe relative midi cc is.

DvlsAdvct

2014-10-13 18:51:19

I'm going to assume your incoming message is B0 30 pp for your absolute encoder. Change it to whatever you need. Also, I don't know what your outgoing message should be, but this should get the job done.

Code: Select all

Translator 0: turn left
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI B0 30 pp 
Rules: 
  gd=pp-ga
  ga=pp
  if gd>=0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing Message: B0 30 3F 

Translator 1: turn right
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI B0 0E pp 
Rules: 
  if gd<=0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing Message: B0 40 41  

ariajazz

2014-10-15 15:09:46

Thanks a lot for repplying and for the script... I will try it later on and post the results.

ariajazz

2014-10-20 04:07:20

Well, the script is not working for me, knobs react in a weird way. Right turn responds with incrementals in values but still sending absolute messages. Left turn sticks in 63 does not decrements values at all, it only sends 63 cc message. Am I doing something wrong?

DvlsAdvct

2014-10-20 05:17:26

Can you either type in your translators like I did above or attach your project so I can see?

van17ino6

2015-01-15 04:39:07

Know it's an old post, but just wanted to tell DvlsAdvct he's the man!
Even tho I thought I got it everytime something always failed on my Rules, but you got the key! It was so easy I feel bad :( haha

Thank you. :D

mocker

2015-02-16 17:59:13

Thanks to BMT, I never use absolute CCs anymore, only relative, be it in Ableton Live or Usine (I use both). Such a relief !