Serato with VCI400 aditional mapping LED refresh not working

alexpj

2014-10-04 14:44:12

hi,
i tried to make some additional mappings for Serato DJ and VCI400. This works very fine but:
just in the moment i start Bomes translator (even with deaktivated presets) there is no more LED refresh.
eg. there are no highlighting LED for cue points and the PFL LED does not stay highlighed after pressing. All of the LED on the console does not work, when bomes translator stay in background. (even with all presets are deactivated!!!)

i use Vestax midi in / and vestax midi out
with routing from Vestax midi in to Vestrax midi out
swallow incoming is not active

any ideas, how to get a normal LED refresh with Bomes Translator in use?

Thanks for helping
Alex

DvlsAdvct

2014-10-05 04:16:29

Can you attach your preset so I can take a look at your translators?

Thanks
Jared

alexpj

2014-10-05 11:43:46

Hallo Jared,

thanks for reading my posting. Here are my preset file:
Attachments
vci-400.bmtp
(3.92 KiB) Downloaded 232 times

DvlsAdvct

2014-10-05 15:05:25

Hi alexpj

So, the problem is that you don't have any translators to tell the VCI-400 to turn LEDs on and off. This is not the easiest process, but it is definitely required. What I would recommend doing is creating two new presets, one called something like Beatgrid Player L to VCI, and in there putting translators which control the LED feedback of the controller.

I can assist with this, it's just going to take some time, and require me taking my VCI-400 out of the closet. :)

Thanks
Jared

alexpj

2014-10-05 18:20:39

Hello Jared,

Thanks for our assist! My actions and translations will not cause any LED switches. The LED lights are only router thrue Bomes translator. I think i can't do translations for actions in Serato DJ?

DvlsAdvct

2014-10-05 18:39:27

Well, the answer is a little complicated.

Serato DJ does not offer MIDI Output, so you can't use Serato to drive your VCI-400. But you can use MT to control the LED output of the VCI-400 with a complex set of translators. Since all of your commands are beatgrid commands then you can use MT to drive the LEDs of the controller, but it can cause problems with the LED states sent from Serato.

alexpj

2014-10-06 09:48:32

mmmh....

maybe its just a routing problem? Uses Serato pro

After starting MT without any presets (just listen to Midi) there are those LED problems. I'm afraid that trying to translate all LED conditions will cause new problems.

DvlsAdvct

2014-10-06 15:16:13

That is how it should work. MT exists as a sort of MIDI router. You connect your controller to it and it absorbs all MIDI signals sent to it until you tell it to do something with them. So, if there are no presets or translators it will hear the MIDI from your controller, but it will just stop it from going anywhere. If you want it to do anything you will need to create presets and translators and tell MT what you want to do with all of the MIDI it is receiving.

Serato DJ does not play well with translation apps or virtual ports. If you want to use the VCI-400 with MIDI Translator then I would recommend only using your gridding preset while gridding, and don't use it while gigging or mixing. You would need to create a REALLY complicated mapping, which Serato won't play 100% nice with, and you'd lose a chunk of jog wheel functionality and other things. It would be okay if you used it only at home while putting tracks together, though.

alexpj

2014-10-06 16:12:57

Ok, thank you very much for your detailed explanation!

I just thought, MT is in both ways absolutely passive, when no presets activated.

DvlsAdvct

2014-10-06 18:06:30

Not at all. If no presets are added it just listens to the ports. If you want it to act as a passthrough you need to use the MIDI Router. unfortunately this can cause problems with Serato's communication with a controller.

alexpj

2014-10-06 23:32:03

I just played around with some routing variants.

And my problem seems to be solved!
Midi in --> Bomes virtual port 1
Bomes virtual port 1 --> Midi out
will exact show all LED correct and all translations work fine.

This first used variant does not work:
Midi in --> Midi out

DvlsAdvct

2014-10-07 00:59:47

Awesome!

If that works for you then you should be able to keep your translators in your project and only those commands will be changed, everything else will pass through.

alexpj

2014-10-07 12:45:16

Awesome² :D:D:D:D

the virtual port is shown in Serato DJ as a external Midi Console.
With this feature you can map some additional functions on the VCI400 direct in SDJ. (no LED, only switches/toggles)
AWESOME!!!!! :mrgreen: